White Walls

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of people making homemade whitewalls for cars, but can it be done for bikes? If so could someone post a link either how to make them or where to buy them. Thanks

so when using the shoe polish, do you still need to mask off the tire? i guess you could if you really wanted a cleaner perfect line. i cant wait to try this! but wait, what takes off shoe polish in case i dont like that white wall look on the tires........

Easy E

the paint the used to use in the 50s is sold in the u.s. anymore that i can find, i have seen a guy at one of the "hotrod" nights here locally who used paint made for lining inground pools, dont know where youd find it though. if you just want a stripe, acrylic paint pens will work (craft store)

RockabillyRobbins said:
Would spray paint work? I might give that a try on an old tire.If I use the shoe polish where would I get that type.(sorry to ask so many questions :oops:

i think someone here tried using krylon fusion (for plastics) i know it holds up great (really great) on plastic without even sanding. i dont know how well the tires held up though afterwards, worth a shot though

You can probably get the shoe polish at a Foot Locker or whatever shoe store at the mall. It's called Kiwi, and it comes in a plastic bottle with a sponge tip on the top. As for the spray paint, I seem to remember whoever tried it found that it looked great, but then cracked off as soon as he took it for a ride. Tires have too much flex to hold paint well.

so yeah, i was the guy that used krylon fusion for whitewallin. it did crack and come off when things in the garage rubbed against it. but i didnt do a super supreme prep job. i just laquer ragged it and masked the tread. sanding it and using a grease cutter probly woulda been a good idea but i didnt care much. its a rat...just give it more character! ive heard from others that do a good prep job that it actually hold up well. maybe test it on a old tire and ride it for a bit. see if it holds up.

whitewalls.jpg

Well using spraypaint is pretty easy and yes it works. The thing that really helped is finding the painters tape that is flexy so you can tape off something round. Prep is obviously important thing, but I would also recommend just doing it on brand new tires. I'm riding around in snow, sand and salt but the whitewalls are holding up. Ok not really, it lasts for a few weeks and then needs some retouching. Another trick I found, was I got better coverage sparying the paint into a cup and then brushing it on.
I rode on a flat for just a few blocks one day and almost all the paint came off, so maybe another kinda off paint would work better. Still the paint method works, and you can go with off white, cream, whatever color you want.

Go to your local. Body shop supply or off the net. Its vinyl/rubber dye. Comes in a rattle can. Its what I used on my fatty WCC tires on my trike. Holds up good. Masked with some blue vinyl fine line and hit with red scotch brite. I'm happy with it. And if it needs touched up later its easy to do over.

Back