Who here has powdercoated their rims?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good to know. I know some companies (eg, velocity) powdercoat their rims from the factory. I'm pretty sure the rims in question are anodized, which if my memory serves me, can be powdered over without a problem, as it is technically metal...

-rob

If needed powder coated rims could be run with rim brakes if cork pads are used. Try the same pads as used with carbon or wood rims.

that's good to know, C.p.odom.Lucky for me i'm running a drum up front and fixed-gear in the back...

-rob

BlackJack said:
Would the powdercoating obscure details like knurling and logos on S-2 rims?

It would to some degree; how much would depend on the overall thickness/depth of the PC. Candies, metallics, and basically anything with a 2-stage will be even thicker, and obscure fine details more. Even basic one-stage coats will obscure details to a degree. I've had some frames powdered, and you can definitely notice that some details at welds or lugwork are obscured a little bit.

Also, powder-over-chrome is very difficult, as the chrome resists the whole electrostatic thing. You'd need to etch the chrome sufficiently to even try it...and you still might run into some problems with adhesion.

Back