Who makes a good Mileage counter ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago my brother had this small mile counter that bolted on the front axle and had a pin that attached to a spoke. It was way simple and worked very well. What is out there now, and are they all electronic? The cool thing about it was it was only an the size of a 1/2 inch socket. Went up to 9,000 miles before turning over.

I might have one in the shed, I'll have to look, I know I have an old Dorcy and another one that's off of an exercise bike, not sure if they have the odometer or not. If not there's always Ebay.

all the old gear driven cyclometers or odometers were wheel specific. My lbs may have some AMF/Roadmaster packaged ones for 26" wheels left, i can check and see if you like.

modern day the digitals just seem to be the standard and the new electronic ones are usually programable to whatever wheel size you want

http://cgi.ebay.com/Schwinn-27-inch-NOS ... _696wt_905

CCR said:
all the old gear driven cyclometers or odometers were wheel specific. My lbs may have some AMF/Roadmaster packaged ones for 26" wheels
I put one of those on my AMF SkyRider because it was a cool looking NOS accessory, but I would not make any bet that it is too accurate. On my chopper, I paid ten bucks for a Schwinn digital that I think is real accurate. It is programed by measuring the distance of one tire revolution and entering the amount in millimeters! If you don’t want to see a meter on your bike but you do want to see your milage, get a wireless unit and hide it under your saddle. :wink:

I looked and I do have a nice Sears Speedo with built in odometer if you'd be interested. The cable is kinda short it's off of an old exercise bike but I think I have another cable that is longer and wheel attachment thing.

I put a modern CatEye on my wife's modern hybred bike as one of her Christmas presents.

The sensor on the fork is wireless, doesn't even have a wire to wrap around the fork and look like crap.

Dial in the wheel/tire size from it's extensive list, and ride with way more info than you could ever want.

I've wanted to get a speedometer for my folding bike but I don't know if I can find one calibrated for a 22" wheel.

I finally got digging in the shed and got some pics for you, One is a Dorcy, complete with cable and gear thingy, the other is a sears, has cable but no gear thingy.
P1180432.jpg

P1180431.jpg

P1180428.jpg

I really like that old school Speed-o, I got out bid on a mile counter that Schwinn made in the 70's . Mixed blessing as I wanted to use it on my 29er. I doughty it would have been very close to accurate. I am warming up to the wireless sensor on the fork with the unit stashed under the seat. I just want to know how many miles it took to get me in shape. If I ever get there. I am really enjoying Bicycling again and this site is awesome. Thanks guys for letting me play along.

Back