Why for?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Dad finds bike stuff for me all the time. Half the time he has no idea what he's got but still comes up with lots of stuff I can use. He had picked up a few cardboard boxes full of unused cables and things along with used things that are in pretty good shape. I peeked in one box and found some rear hubs, kindly thanked him, and took the box. Today I took some out to inspect this SA multispeed coaster hub only to find this strange setup. There is a chain gear welded to the hub where the spokes should go. I didn't notice it at first until I found the empty spot where a gear should go. Why for? It seems it would be for secondary gear box but i'm not getting how it was to be used. Maybe someone goofed and tossed it but it's hard to say when you don't know :? . Anyone with clues?

WhatPurpose-2.jpg

WhatPurpose-1.jpg

Graylock

It was probably used as a gear box for some sort of trike. They are never used in the wheel so the spoke holes can be covered up. Found this pic on the web it might give you and idea of what I am saying.

Boss

desoto%20classic%203%20spd%20big.jpg

I have seen a similiar set up for a mid drive on a trike. The one I have has the sprocket welded on the opposite side of yours. Your hub would mount in the normal dropout and run the secondary chain to the trike drive axle. I can post a pic of the one I have this afternoon and a pic of one mounted on a trike tomorrow afternoon.

Back