Why is this stingray so much? whats so special about it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frame filled with cocaine maybe? I just tried to bid $75 hoping that eBay would send the guy a message letting him know of this low bid just to irk him.

There have been 16 bids and the reserve isn't met? :shock:

ya man, I was watching it yesterday it was up around $900 which a nice cleam stingray can fetch but.... yikes, I know its an early year but maybe a stingray guru will fill us in

I am not expert but that is one the earliest Stingrays. The first ones being produced in May of 1963.

Plus it is the cool coppertone color 8)

1963 was the first ever produced Sting-Ray. They didn't actaully start there "full" production until 1964, so 63's are RARE :wink: It is coppertone and in VERY nice shape :D That's why it is pricey :)

haha, I just did a bad bad thing. :eek: The bid was at $910 and based on the last failed auction I put in a $1000 bid hoping (and pretty much knowing) I would be outbid... which I was. Kinda scary confirming that bid. haha

I thought blue band hubs were used on Stingrays, and I also thought they discontinued red band 2 speeds in 1960, when they went to yellow and blue bands. Maybe the shop had one laying around for a few years on a 20" wheel.

yoothgeye said:
haha, I just did a bad bad thing. :eek: The bid was at $910 and based on the last failed auction I put in a $1000 bid hoping (and pretty much knowing) I would be outbid... which I was. Kinda scary confirming that bid. haha

lol well seeing as how it went to 3100 last time and didnt hit reserve your prob safe but knowing my luck I wouldnt have done it lol

Tychevelle said:
lol well seeing as how it went to 3100 last time and didnt hit reserve your prob safe but knowing my luck I wouldnt have done it lol

Yeah, I figured since he didn't take $3100 for it hours earlier I was safe at $1000, but that's higher than I ever bid on anything real or not on eBay, so still was scary, but I probably made the real bidders sweat a little. haha

It's not a bike anymore.... It's history! The 63 Sting-Rays are a big deal to early collectors. First 1/2 year of the Schwinn Sting-Ray inception. Not many 63's left w/ original parts or even add on original dated parts. Not my bag of tea but if I had a ton of $$ that may differ? Also it's a Schwinn.... chances are it's still solid as rock!

I'd like to see one of those Huffy banana seat bikes come up for sale. The one that came out before the STingray.

Back