Wide 24 inch rims? Where they at?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am trying to get a line on some moderately wide black anodized or painted 24s to lace up with some disc brake hubs, so I need something without a machined sidewall or at least a rim that is anodized after the sidewall is machined so no silver shows. I am looking to go no wider than around 2 inches. The 3G Jemima wheelset looks good, but I just want the rims and hate spending $150 just for the rims. Choppers US has some 2.5 inch wide rims, but at $79 a piece is over budget. I have been looking at BMX rims, but the widest I have seen is 1.5 inch. What I really want are the rims like what come on Felt or Electra cruisers as they have the desired profile. Anybody have any ideas?

It's hard to beat the price of the 3G wheels. I'm not sure you'll be able to find rims alone that cost less that those wheelsets.

Kf, nifty work by OneHP, probably more work and beyond my skill level. I am great at assembly, not so much with fabrication.

Chips, I may check with 3G and Felt to see if they can sell me just the rims because all I see available are complete wheels. Choppers US has a 2.5 inch rim, but it might be too wide.

Another thing I just thought of are unicycle rims. They run pretty wide.

Thanks everybody for the responses so far!

Back