Wild Child ('68 Murray)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this old Murray sittin around, just now got it up and rideable. No fenders, ages-old el cheapo paint job, some old bars were my motivation to get her up and built. I have a different stem and bars on it now, and the original nasty chainguard has been mounted (sort of!)

ftikqp.jpg

3304rw1.jpg

29lzgir.jpg

jkkrh5.jpg

Due to concerns about the integrity of the frame, Wild Child will be torn down indefinitely. In the mean time, his parts will be put on the Tubatron SXT frame so that they still get use.

Why did you take it back out of service? Did you find cracks or deep corrosion in the frame?

wheelbender6 said:
Why did you take it back out of service? Did you find cracks or deep corrosion in the frame?

I noticed that some welds looked pretty close to failing and decided to take a closer look while it was torn down. Sadly, I don't think the welds will hold much longer, and the rear triangle is borked from a few Duke boys style jumps.

T-one said:
What's the wheels size?

The wheels are 26 inch, the tires 26x1.75 Innovas. This frame is a loss now, and it's future has yet to be determined. I can't fix it for lack of funds/tools, and I can't sell it because no one wants a busted frame.

Looks like I have a frame like this one. Check out my last thread. If you don't mind me asking, where are these failing welds? I'd like to check my frame. Thanks.

QuickSand said:
Looks like I have a frame like this one. Check out my last thread. If you don't mind me asking, where are these failing welds? I'd like to check my frame. Thanks.

Those welds are near the seat tube, where the two curved tubes meet the seat tube and top tube. There is also a fender mount that doubles as a stabilizer on the rear, holding the two curved tubes together behind the seat, and they are iffy-lookin on my frame. I wasn't sure about mine but I got it checked out just in case. A few more days of body work will decide if she rides again.

Just a quick update folks, it looks like this old frame will live to ride again. Thanks to preventative measures this old beast will be back on the road again.

Back