will bmx sprocket fit a cruiser?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive been looking around for some info on this but not sure if it will work. i got a 44t sprocket on the bike now and its a pita to ride around slowly with the kids or even take off. i was thinking of going to a 30t sprocket off a bmx but not sure if it will bolt up. i keep reading about 19mm opening and 2 other sizes but is that on the crank itself? any help would be great. my bike has a 1 piece crank if it matters.

raaaidvw said:
ive been looking around for some info on this but not sure if it will work. i got a 44t sprocket on the bike now and its a pita to ride around slowly with the kids or even take off. i was thinking of going to a 30t sprocket off a bmx but not sure if it will bolt up. i keep reading about 19mm opening and 2 other sizes but is that on the crank itself? any help would be great. my bike has a 1 piece crank if it matters.

Your crank will take a 15/16" (23.8mm) sprocket. The 19mm won'tfit. Some of the more-pimp sprockets are 23.8s with little sleeves to fit 19mm or 22mm spindles (eg,Renthal.) What size rear cog do you have? You could get a bigger one of those (they go up to 24t**), and/or get yourself a 36t Wald sprocket...
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/wald-steel-opc-chainwheel-36t-x-1-8-536-chrome Made in Kentucky. $4. I love the ones I'm running...

**<edit>I found 26t cogs, but they cost $27 :shock:

thanks for that info and link 808. i got a 46/18 gearing on it now. i figured 30/18 would make it easier to pedal around.im not looking for any real speed. so i need to measure the center bore on the sprocket and make sure its 15/16's ?

raaaidvw said:
thanks for that info and link 808. i got a 46/18 gearing on it now. i figured 30/18 would make it easier to pedal around.im not looking for any real speed. so i need to measure the center bore on the sprocket and make sure its 15/16's ?
If it's a onepiece crank, it's 15/16". 30/18 would be craaaaaazy low. Too easy. I'd try 36 or 40 first. I'm running 44/18 or 44/19 on my 26" street cruisers; 44/22 or 42/22 on 26" trailbikes...

I run 36/13, it works great, I also use a "KINK," heavy duty chain but last I looked they didn 't offer chains anymore????

I run 32:18 on one of my tall bikes, it's definitely easy cruising and easy on hills, but it's SUPER low, your kids would be able to leave you in the dust and you would not be able to catch up.

I agree it's nice to have low gearing for cruising, but if you are riding with your kids you need enough gear to quickly pedal ahead to block for them or keep them out of trouble.

IMO, cruisers lend themselves to about a 60" gear, at least in the flat-as-a-board section of NJ that I live in. I might feel differently if I lived somewhere really hilly. I just never thought that real fast spinning felt or looked like "cruising", know what i mean?

When I ride a 26" off-road,with short-n-steep hills to climb and dodgy, loose terrain, etc. Even with heavy bikes, I run about a 50" gear on these. 30/18 on a 26" would be about a 43"gear...

Still seems pretty low to me.

Latest posts

Back