WINTER COMMUTING.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: It's COLD!!!!!!

5 degrees and you rode your bike? That's cray.

cman said:
The trick is to dress for the conditions and remember cotton kills.
I guess if cotton kills then maybe polypro is the way to go? Or maybe wool is cool (albeit kinda scratchy)

It was -21F on Wednesday morning at my house, but I didn't ride my bike so I guess that makes me a big girl :mrgreen:

Mark, your side of the state is like the Artic. It is too cold to haul potatoes....No Idaho potatoes for any one this week.

My coldest is -11F for a ride without the windchill. I have skied many time at minus temps.

For comparison, it was 31 degrees this morning. I had to get my car warmed up before I left for work because there was frost on all the windows. I froze my hieny off while standing out there scraping the ice.

I'll do a lot of things in minus temps; I've got the gear to do it, including camping; but riding a bike isn't one of them. That's just not fun.

I used to ride motorcycles in the winter, down into the upper twenties. I wouldn't do that anymore either.

So far my coldest ride was at 10 degrees to the store to get groceries and back. I had on my carhart jacket, carhart coveralls, carhart sock hat, gloves, and was riding my industrial trike so slipping was not an issue. It is a blast to drift it on ice patches, almost flipped it a few times but it's fun. :mrgreen: Yes I'm insane.

image-118.jpg

I know its cold cman. If I turn around I can see your house downtown. The sun was out, no wind. It wasn't tooo bad.

Snowy_Work168.jpg

And always ride your tall bike at night in the snow, new weld job (Welding Gloves On) and didn't even have the brakes installed.

S5003087.jpg

We haven't had any real cold here in Chicago
For about a year coldest last winter was 5 degrees,
I don't think any sub zeros this or last winter, not complaning :wink:
Was 15 when I rode to work on Wednesday, left the house about 9am riding in the bright sun and no wind felt great!

Like Cman said its all about the outfit. Light breathable base layer, good gloves,socks, and something to cover your face

I've said it before. Cold sunny day beats a 40 degree sideways rain anytime :wink:

My family thought I was crazy when I went for a bike ride one night this week at 39* My hats off to ya'll, your really hardcore. :mrgreen:
Kenny

You're brave Cman! That's a cold commute :shock:
Totally agree about dressing for it. Some of the locals dress light knowing they will warmup
But I can't stand being cold to start out. Polypro long underwear and lots of layers of Carhart-like stuff for me

My hands and feet get cold near the end and I start to unzip the layers of jackets and that works out for me
But I ride for exercise and fun so I can pick and chose my ride days

My lowest ride limit is ~0F windchill which I've done a lot lately
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=65550&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=45

My wife and me ran about a week ago in -15F windchill but it was sunny and okay.
Today is supposed to get up to 25F and sunny (perfect!) and I can't wait to go for a ride :D

Great to see other crazies riding through the winter
Steve

This is what January in Phoenix looks like... I did my 9 mile ride this evening with the junkyard dog... :) It was a chilly 60 degrees :eek:

1356218541.jpg

I get by with a long underarmor shirt and a jacket :)
I can't stand wearing big bulky jackets.. but I can't stand the cold either. Luckily it's been in the low 40's here in Arkansas

The good news is.......the days are getting longer and winter is about half over. :D

This was my ride home tonight. 4" of fresh snow. I think I better build a snow bike up. Snow is in the forecast all week.

IMG_20130107_165428.jpg

Sent from my Rezound using Tapatalk 2

After we hit the 2 inch mark today, I saw a guy on a eleptical bike strolling a long. Now thats a die hard. I wonder if that guy who rides that Bone Shaker is still going?

...I ride virtually everyday of the year unless it's real cold or bad weather....here's a shot from yesterday on the bike trail...
rrb1-7-13003.jpg

Back