wood bicycle fender

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scott..... I noticed some wooden fenders for sale in an ad in Bicycle Times magazine. They were from a company called "Planet Bike". I'm sure you can find them online.

TornadoDave2 said:
Scott..... I noticed some wooden fenders for sale in an ad in Bicycle Times magazine. They were from a company called "Planet Bike". I'm sure you can find them online.
i just looked at them dave they r for like road bikes with narrow tires i want sum for ballon thank u for your help

My brother-in-law makes furniture in his spare time and I approached him about it today. He said they would be easy if you had a steam box.

They are not very hard to make. Get a piece of 4" pvc pipe about 5' long. find a pair of reducers to choke each end down to 1". Leave one of the one inch holes open to allow the steam to vent. The hardest part will be getting the steam into the box. He has seen one done with a 1 gallon paint can that has a fitting attached to the lid to connect a 1" copper tube from the lid to the other end of the pipe. Fill the can 3/4 full of water and secure the lid. Set the can on a hot plate or camp stove to get it boiling. Take the reducer off the open end of the pipe and place the piece that will become your fender inside and put the reducer back on. The length of time in the steam box depends on the thickness of the wood, 1/4 should take about an hour. If the steam stops coming out you may need more water. While it is steaming take a wheel with an inflated tire on it to use as your jig. After an hour remove the board and clamp it to the wheel every 2-3 inches. IT WILL BE HOT!!! Let it sit like that for 3 or 4 days, then remove the clamps and it should hold the radius. Hope that helps.

udallcustombikes said:
My brother-in-law makes furniture in his spare time and I approached him about it today. He said they would be easy if you had a steam box.

They are not very hard to make. Get a piece of 4" pvc pipe about 5' long. find a pair of reducers to choke each end down to 1". Leave one of the one inch holes open to allow the steam to vent. The hardest part will be getting the steam into the box. He has seen one done with a 1 gallon paint can that has a fitting attached to the lid to connect a 1" copper tube from the lid to the other end of the pipe. Fill the can 3/4 full of water and secure the lid. Set the can on a hot plate or camp stove to get it boiling. Take the reducer off the open end of the pipe and place the piece that will become your fender inside and put the reducer back on. The length of time in the steam box depends on the thickness of the wood, 1/4 should take about an hour. If the steam stops coming out you may need more water. While it is steaming take a wheel with an inflated tire on it to use as your jig. After an hour remove the board and clamp it to the wheel every 2-3 inches. IT WILL BE HOT!!! Let it sit like that for 3 or 4 days, then remove the clamps and it should hold the radius. Hope that helps.
it sure sounds like it be fairly easy project thank you

We had a guy in a college course do a term paper about wood bending. One thing he did as an example was soak tongue depressors in household amonia. He was able to twist and bend the wood and it held it shape when it dried out.

I'd say with long thin strips of fine grained wood (like tongue depressors or popcicle sticks), the amonia may be worth a try.

He also talked about using steam as has been described here.

Also take a look at acoustic guitar building. They soak the sides in water and then form them over a heat source, usually a pipe heated from the inside with a propane torch. They put the hot formed wood in a jig to maintain the shape while it cools and dries out. Guitar side strips are available to purchase, and may be a good source of wood to use for your fenders.

1/4 x 3" x 4' Poplar board. You can get them at a big box hardware store.

Wet the board with water. No need to soak it. Just wet it let it sit and re-wet it a couple times.

Then use strong twine to tie one end of it to a wheel with a tire on it. Bend board and tie it again a few more inches along. Repeat process until the board is curved around the wheel and tied tight. Leave it on there a couple of days and wet the board down every once in a while.

Then remove from the wheel. It will spring back a bit. Now tie the two ends directly together and over arch it. Like a bow. Wet it and let it sit for a day or two. Now untie it and it should be very close to what you need. Sand and finish fender in a way that you like and make or buy mounting hardware.

I'm in the middle of doing this. Will post up a tech when I'm finished.

Since I already had: sand paper, stain, and twine I'm only into these fenders for the cost of the boards $5.00 total, but I haven't got the mounting hardware yet. I keep thinking of making the hardware rather than buying it, but only because I want some thing unique and custom.

plywood door skins bend real easy. Would not even have to wet. Stripe this down to the width you want. Make them a little longer than the finished size and trim them to size after they are glued up and dry. 2 or 3 layers glues up using some sort of a jig should work. I used MDF to create my jig. Then a nice piece of veneer as the top layer. I would let the ply dry on the form a few days then use a contact cement for the veneer.
i have used this method to build the skirts for custom tables and it works well.
You would end up with a flat fender such as these: http://www.fastboyfenders.com/fendersforsale.html

Haven't put the varnish on it yet, but here is a sneak peek of my cheap DIY wood fender...

IMG_1642.jpg

wow thats coming out real good looks real nice with out being varnished... the varnish is going to give it a very clean look... 8)

Latest posts

Back