wooden handle bars

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about one of these.
woodie2_2006.jpg

I actually thought about making wooden bars but never got around to it.

That would be a good winter project. Need to get my self a hickory board and get the Oldtimer sharpened up.

Dang Uncle Stretch i was thinkin about how to build a bambo bike after a friend of mine went to China and saw those guys building scafolding with bambo about four storys tall. Oh and the wood handle bars look backwards to me

I saw a post one time that told you how to build a bamboo bike. They had a picture of one built in the late 1800's ,so its not a new idea. Kinda got to park aways away from a bever hangout though. :x :x :? stupid dirty word program

chimichanga said:
socal_jack said:
ooooooo i want! :D

Thought had crossed my mind a while back to make something like that... Great prices on those!

All this talk now of wood bike builds! Thanks to the box stores, the trees have been cleared in my neck of the woods! I'll have to make a bike out of possums and crows :)

One of our newer FreakBike members, BigMoe, is a woodworker. One night after a ride, Moe invited us back to his shop and showed us a wooden bike that he was working on, along with his "Wooden Dragon" bike and some recumbant trikes (metal) he had built. While he was explaining his new wooden bike, we started to talk about the possibility of wooden handlebars. This was before Thanksgiving, so neither of us had a clue to the "handlbar" thingy. We knew it had been done in the early days of bicycling and figured that someone had probably done it recently, but had not seen any.

The conversation went from one thing to another and we finally landed on a wooden grip conversation. His eyes lit up and he said that he'd have do some "turning".

About a week later he gave me a call to come over. Gigs and I grabbed some parts, that he needed, to take along with us and headed on over.

We ended up trading our parts for these
DSCF2925.jpg

DSCF2926.jpg

DSCF2927.jpg

Now I gotta figure out some projects that will be worthy of these grips!

It's hard for me to imagine that those wooden handlebars would remain tight for very long.

I'd to see the accident if those things ever snapped, too.

dude chainy those grips are freakin sweet man!!! i wonder if you make em with a wood lathe? or maybe thats how homeboy made em. my grandpa has a wood lathe and i might be trying to make some of those. cool thread!

Easy E

Back