Wooden seats

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever made one or seen one?
For personal reasons I don't like or support leather, so I am planning on carving out a wooden seats for a project I'm working on now.
I think it would look awesome. I am not sure about comfort but I could sacrifice that.
What's everyone else think?

I gave that some thought. I was going to get a piece of 1/4 plywood with a nice grain and soak it in water, then shape it to fit a big seatpan and hope it dried in that shape, then attach it to the steel seat pan, glue probably, or small screws. I remember the desk seats in grade school, solid wood about an inch thick, but contoured to fit our behinds. We could sit in them all day. So you could carve it out to make it ridable.

Then I changed my mind, I'm planning on adding a thick piece of leather to a steel seat pan to see how that works out.

That sounds like a cool idea post something on how it turns out.

I do a lot of wood working at work so when I get
I get my hands on a piece that is suitable I'm gonna give it a try.

The plywood would work as long as you clamped it onto what's shaping it for a day or two.

I thought of something else also. At bike shops, they have a pad you sit on to measure the exact distance between your seat bones to fit you with the right width seat. If you're going to carve out a seat, you could make it exactly to your "specifications". Then it might be pretty comfortable. I think the base would have to have springs though, or the bike have rear suspension.

I did one once to go along with my wood bike. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

WOODIE2.jpg

I'll ask the guy at the cycle shop if he has one thanks for the info!

How was that wooden seat for comfort? Sweet bike never seen one like that

i budy of mine carved a cherry seat for his 1970's cb 175. the seat rocks!

i'll try and find pictures.

Back