Working on 1963 Schwinn tandem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Just found this site. I've been restoring and customizing my bikes for years, and occasionally making one for a neighbor or friend. I've been lucky enough to bike all over the world, having served in the Navy. My favorite is my 53 Schwinn, made up of parts I've scrounged over 30 years. I did a complete down to the metal restoration a couple of winters ago. My wife can't ride a 2 wheeler, but we have ridden tandems, so the rough 63 tandem is going to be a try at a ratrod. I fixed up a 61 Columbia trike for her, it even had a differential. She sold it at a yard sale! Just because I only had 15 bucks in it didn't mean it wasn't worth a fortune! I live and ride in Mayport Florida, and just moved in to our new home here. I have to hang my bikes close together to have enough space. I had 11 bikes, and every time I looked, I had one more! My friend figured it out. I didn't separate the boy bikes from the girl bikes! They were multiplying!

I'll post up some of my photos.

Welcome to where the good times roll, I happened across this site one day also, and things haven't been the same since, that was a good day. Too bad about the trike, and your right, you can have next to nothing in a bike, but wouldn't part with it for anything. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Makes sence,

Time 4 a ride with the bikes down to Planed Parenthood Office yano LOL.
Hey GOOD LUCk on the tandem thing ok.

I spent a TON of Time & $$$$$$ on mine only to find out Most folks INCLUDING me wifey , don't get along very well, or are scared to ride them.

I'm not sure if I'm all alone on this matter but, it takes a real leap of faith , total trust, cordination on Both partys part, Good Listning & comunication & cooperating skills , ya really got to like who you have teamed up with (someone you can giggle & have small talk with .... Wife , Buddie ect. ) .

In short, I've really learned a lot about other's & my self with this tandem thing.

It takes Special person's to field a good tandem team that is gona stay out of trouble get along & keep in step. Its a real Team deal.

Good luck ,we wish you the best & keep us all posted on your progress ok.

Welcome abord here.

Best wishes from the Wingman Clan,
Stephen / Wingman

We had a tandem, from walmart a few years ago. It worked out well, except for the 21 speeds. The stoker always loses footing when gears change. So this tandem will be a 1 speed, blue with red wheels and whitewalls. Blue because it is the color she wants. I'm thinking a flat light blue.

I'm looking for heavy duty wheels.

Latest posts

Back