Worksman Shifting Issue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today was a great day. Spotted this porta tryke on CL for 80.00 and ended up giving only 65 after a 75 mile trip. Dont let the pic fool you. Some light chrome rust otherwise brand new cond. Now here we go. I know nothing about 3 speed coaster brake hubs.

It wont shift. Cable moves. Its in first gear. The chain coming outa hub is very slack not taught. Should there be any springy pullback if you tug on chain manually? You cant pull chain. I just cant see any hub problems the bike looks too new. Worst case senario couldnt you make it one speed with a freewheel on the axle? Looks identical to the single speed version with a coaster added by welding on 2 brackets.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Maybe put it on the side with the shift chain up and drip some light oil into the hub?

Should that chain have spring tension? How can I manually shift the hub to see if gears work?

I just disconnected the cable at the chain. When I pulled on the chain the shift rod pulled out. Think somebody had nearly unscrewed it . I screwed the rod back in and all seems fine now. Gotta final adjust cable tome.

Very nice... one of the guys on my cycling team has that exact same bike, with the Sturmey-Archer 3 speed coaster brake and all. Once we got it set up, it's been great....very reliable.

Glad you figured out the issue with the indicator chain. If you run into problems in the future, it might help to put "Sturmey-Archer shifting issue" in the title instead of "Worksman", as the hub is a very typical Sturmey unit, except for the extra sprocket on the left side of the hub for the trike drive. In short, a lot of folks have never worked on a Worksman, but thousands of us have worked on Sturmey-Archer 3 speeds.

Good job pickin that one up for cheap! :113:

I am not a fan of "geared" bikes. Always trouble. I may toss that 3 speed hub in the trash and put a axle mounted freewheel on. Thats all the single speed porta tryke/Trifectas have.

I am not a fan of "geared" bikes. Always trouble. I may toss that 3 speed hub in the trash and put a axle mounted freewheel on. Thats all the single speed porta tryke/Trifectas have.

Heres a Trifecta with the freewheel I had. Great ride. I think Worksman is cheapening their quality. This black bike had very rusty chrome 2hich came clean. The new blue bike is a 2012 model with rust on the chrome that wont come off. 7 bet most of Worksman stuff is made in China.

I tried riding the 3 speed today. Something is bad wrong. No brakes . Crank spins backwards and never catches. Jumps outa gear, wont shift. SO I the trashpile goes the SA hub. Getting a freewheel and making one speed. Problem solved.

Get a freewheel on Ebay and axle adaptor from Worksman to make it one speed and chunk that 3 speed hub in a lake.

To be honest when I got the thing my plan was to cut it up and build a big kid pedal car.

Back