Wow...I've sold 5 bikes in 2 weeks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have sold 5 vintage bikes in the last two weeks and there is a chance I might be getting rid of Grumpy. On top of that, I about to list my his/hers Huffman tankers. I'll be down to the '28 Elgin, the jet tank Western Flyer, my Firestone 500 and my 66 Typhoon.

Hmmmm.... I sold 4 today. Sold 2 Thursday. Nothing vintage, just flippers. The weather is getting better.

Way to go!!!

Voyager Al said:
Terry, I sold 4 to buy 1 new bike,3 weeks ago. Im now up one.....back to the storage problem...

Yeah, that is the goal here too. I am thinking either a Specialized Venge or a Tarmac.

I enjoy my vintage bikes, but I really enjoy a newer quality bike. I have more newer bikes than oldies. My Specialized Crosstown Sport is like a Cadillac. My Sun Spyder is just fun, and sexy. Gets a lot of attention. Nishiki Colorado is just awesome in the woods. Then there's the vintage....Nuttin real comfy, or fast, or Brakes well....they are just OLD. I like them all, and hate to sell, but when I get a wild hair to buy new, well, one of the oldies go... I keep buyin old, but really just consider them flippers....unless I truly fall in love with them. My Western Flyers are like my children..aint sellin them......

The weather here has prevented me from working on bikes, we got about 4 inches of snow right now and it's still coming down hard. Supposed to warm up by the end of the week so hopefully I can get back to it soon. Right now I've been running low on inventory. I sold my cargo trike so I am down to only 3 personal bikes! (My Diamondback mountain bike, My '53 Schwinn Klunker project, and my 1969 Western Flyer Fast One that will be my build off bike) Then I have my fiance's two (1968 Schwinn hollywood and Iron Horse) and my mom's Huffy so you can actually see the floor in my shed. I need to get to the scrapyard and stock up!

Flippin' makes you money....but it drives prices up for all of us... thin your herd when you gotta (and we all oughta) but buying to flip= being part of the problem.

Sorry to be honest; I know y'all flippers hate that...

Bicycle808 said:
Flippin' makes you money....but it drives prices up for all of us... thin your herd when you gotta (and we all oughta) but buying to flip= being part of the problem.

Well, I don't flip bikes..but I have to disagree with your point. It is all supply and demand like any other business. The more parts and bikes on the market, the less the price will be. If people started hoarding, there would be less chances to buy which means people would pay more for those chances.

If you cut supply, prices go up. Just ask OPEC. They've been doing it for years! :lol:

Now TV shows like American Pickers have certainly driven up the prices. Everyone who has a bike with rust on it, thinks they have a $1500 bike.

Terry66 said:
Bicycle808 said:

Well, I don't flip bikes..but I have to disagree with your point. It is all supply and demand like any other business. The more parts and bikes on the market, the less the price will be. If people started hoarding, there would be less chances to buy which means people would pay more for those chances.

If you cut supply, prices go up. Just ask OPEC. They've been doing it for years! :lol:

Now TV shows like American Pickers have certainly driven up the prices. Everyone who has a bike with rust on it, thinks they have a $1500 bike.
I agree with that everyone thinks their rusty bike is that one special bike thats worth alot, I mainly flip newer bikes but have been known to sell off an older bike from time to time but always leave a little meat on the bone for the next guy.

Bicycle808 said:

That's just silly talk, right there! :shock:

maybe I shouldn't have said I buy to flip. I fall in love with them all. But time, and storage problems dictates the thinning of the herd. maybe I am just a foster parent, cause I hate to sell, but I enjoy what I replace them with. My attention span is short.....LOL

Thanks to you guys, I've sold a bunch of parts this week, only enough to fill a large shoebox, but it has allowed me to buy another bike. :oops:

Though, this selling has motivated me to try and sell more parts and bikes and make room. My only issue is that the complete bikes I want to sell wouldn't fetch a price high enough to justify the hassle of shipping them. I want to try to sell local, but I can't compete with Walmart around here in this financial demographic (more credit than cash).

Back