"You know what grinds my gears? ..."

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
"You know what grinds my gears?" (Add in after this qoute) Seller's with old bikes who think every one of them is an antique and worth gold. Their favorite lines are "That's an antique!" or "You dont see these anymore." or "They dont make it like this anymore." And somehow they seem to know more than any experienced bike collector about a bike they usually have to read the badge of! :shock: And never let them know you know anything or even see one of your restored bikes because they'll jack up the ridiculous price more! What grinds yours?

Those are the same guys, from when I used to hunt Musclecars with my buddy, for instance 66 SS Chevelle buried three cars back in a long driveway three flat tires and a wheel missing up on a block of wood..sitting for years. You would finally catch the owner home and the same response every time "dont wanna sell her, gonna fix it up" and it rots another 15 years till the wife sells it to the scrap yard one day.

I hate the way almost any seller spells Schwinn with dollar signs! Even the Cheapo Taiwannabe's and Chinese junk is spelled $chwinn for $ale! :p

Road Master said:
My favorite is "I don't know much about bikes" followed by a reserve price so how that it is never reached in a week of bidding.
Sooooooo true! I hate that!

lol sounds like a guy who brought a wally world "schwinn" panther in yesterday wanting to sell it. i dont even buy them they are so poorly built and normally almost impossible to make even work right. he instantly protested "but it is SCHWINN QUALITY." i tried not to laugh and let him in on the fact that schwinn just aint schwinn anymore.

something that grinds my gears, theres a guy down the street from my folks house and he has alot of trees in his front yard, and on every single tree there is an old bike just sitting there rotting and rusting away. i asked the guys wife if he would ever consider selling some of them and she said "no hes more of a collector really". well now i drive by there really slow to see if hes added anything new to the trees, last week i spotted a dayton huffman twin flex..... :cry: :cry: :cry: such a sad thing to see such amazing bikes going to waste. but he likes em as yardart...go figure

Easy E

local guy selling a Rollfast 3 speed, first listing on C/L $ 90.00, next listing $ 75.00, next listing $ 65.00, next listing $ 75.00 :shock: , he probably should have taken my offer of $ 40.00 4 months ago! "But its mint collectors item", yeah the 1/2 that isn't covered in scratches is hidden under dried up grease and dirt. Nice

Funny thing is i stopped and looked at the identical bike at another location, guy wanted $ 50.00, said he just spent that on a tune up. I pointed out the dry rotted tires and brake pads that were so out of wack they hit the spokes. Come on people!

what really gripes me is that i have a sign out locally along the highway advertising that i buy "old" bicycles. well, guess what? 99% of the calls i get people have wally world junk! :x don't get me wrong, i have come into a few good deals from the sign, but no 30's colson's or anything like that yet. :cry: another thing, about schwinns. it kills me the number of people think they are the only thing out there worth anything! :!:

forgot one! people talking or texting on their cell's while driving!@ :x i don't know how many times i have almost been road kill on my whizzer or other bikes because of these idiots! :x

Really cool bikes for really cheap are always 1,000 miles away from you, and there's never anything really neat showing up in your area.

having an advertisement for a single speed bike in the classified for parts and getting a call saying they have a broken mongoose bike that is "a single speed now" and in good condition :?

xHOBOPHOBIAx said:
having an advertisement for a single speed bike in the classified for parts and getting a call saying they have a broken mongoose bike that is "a single speed now" and in good condition :?

I was laughing loud when I read this one!

StephenH said:
Really cool bikes for really cheap are always 1,000 miles away from you, and there's never anything really neat showing up in your area.

Ahhh the story of my life in the big apple.. :(

Back