Zip Tie snow tires.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like zip ties would be pretty useless, IMO. They might help you move forward, but they won't help stop the tires from sliding sideways (out from under you) which is usually how you fall down in the snow.

None of the home-made snow tire methods I tried some years back worked very well. though some were lousy for different reasons.

If you want to ride in the snow do yourself a favor and spend $260 for a pair of the 130-studded Nokians. That may seem horribly expensive, but they will work like you want--and if you ride them gently, they will last several riding seasons.
~

As a remember it, back when I was a real cyclist :p , lot of annoying sideways slip was caused by gravitational misdirection of the force imparted while trying to accelerate or maintain momentum on incline or surface change. I'd be inclined to think it might help under some conditions, but possibly exacerbate the problem in others. :|

deorman said:
As a remember it, back when I was a real cyclist :p , lot of annoying sideways slip was caused by gravitational misdirection of the force imparted while trying to accelerate or maintain momentum on incline or surface change. I'd be inclined to think it might help under some conditions, but possibly exacerbate the problem in others. :|

small them words up ... you lost me :mrgreen:

Got an e-mail from a friend last week:

--On Saturday I was able to ride a little, using tiewraps around the rear wheel as shown below on my neighbor's bike. Really great traction in the snow, but after a couple of km the tiewraps wear out on the bottom and start shooting off.--

Back