Rare Huffman Twin Flex dual springer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I have a 1939 Dayton Huffman Twin Flex.

I received a call from a lady from church that yard sales round the clock who always looks out for old bikes for me. This is the second one she has found for me.

She called this morning saying she was at a yard sale and saw this old bike. She described it as old with a retro fit look like a clown bike. Said the seat and bars were 5 feet tall etc. wheely bar on back etc. homemade retro fit. I'm thinking do I really want to check this out but it sounds interesting and who knows.!!

Head right over. It's in Louisville TN just down the road. On the way she texts me a pic. I'm examining it and I see two things. A front springer and a rear spring. They've flipped the frame upside down to do the retro.

I'm thinking. Could that possibly be what I think it is. Surely not. Not here this close to my town.

I get there and sure enough it is. My heart is double time. Start talking to the gent. Very nice man and said he got it out of a barn years ago. This retro was old in itself. Lightning dart tire on the rear.

I cant believe I'm looking at a twin flex.

He's asking 60.00. I offer 45.00 and its a deal. I can't load it fast enough. What a day!! Lot of work to restore it back to original but all very doable.

The retro is cool and hate to undo it but this bike needs to be back to what it was made to be.

by9eha2e.jpg

ze6y8uza.jpg

aga4u5em.jpg

uzapanan.jpg

zehyguqu.jpg

e9ypyda5.jpg

ty6agedy.jpg

5edebyba.jpg

What do u think?

1918 Ranger

Ive seen stupid stuff done to cool bikes, but that my friend takes the cake!! :roll: :roll:

What a shame! There should be a number stamped on the back of the fork crown as well as under the BB that will help date it.

Nice hack job....I think the term clown bike may apply to the clown who built it.
Interesting engineering work on the reversal of the rear spring travel. Hopefully you can salvage the rear struts.

That is just painful to look at.
How could someone do that to such a rare bike?

Toeslider said:
I can't believe someone would have the nerve to ask $60 for that, unless they knew what it was built out of and marketed it as such.
Who should be shamed? Them asking 60 or me offering 45? I think he would have taken 30.00. My friend said she paid half price on all her stuff before I got there and said he was doing that on most items. Didn't want to offend. I was borderline I was afraid then.

Of course I would have paid a ton more if I would had to have. May be the only one ill ever run across.

1918 Ranger

Toeslider said:
I can't believe someone would have the nerve to ask $60 for that, unless they knew what it was built out of and marketed it as such.
As I re-read your statement, are you saying its not worth 60.00??

1918 Ranger

Even in teh shape it is in, it was worth what you paid. I am never ashamed to ask if someone would take less.
Star Bike Shop here in Savannah has one of those on display. Here are some pics I took of it while researching how to build Flexy.
Let me know if you need more pics of different parts. I would be glad to go down there and take more.

WP_001053.jpg

20120519-WP_001524.jpg

20120519-WP_001526.jpg

20120519-WP_001525.jpg

at least nothing was cut of and things were only added on to it, al for those saying how could someone do that to a rare bike, how was he to know it was rare? to the guy that modified it it was an old heap of metal he could have fun with, and who is to say if he didn't modify it, it might be melted down by now.

1918 Ranger said:
Toeslider said:

1918 Ranger

Of course it's worth it to you...I'm just saying that to look at it as pictured, most people would pull something like that out of a barn and try to get $20 for it, or anything more than scrap price. To the untrained eye it's just a pile of parts, so to ask $60 for it seems like the owner might have had some sort of clue that it was worth more than scrap value. Even as a modified contraption it's not complete, so $60 seems like a high asking price, unless the seller knows it's made up of rare parts.

You got a deal for sure.

Toeslider said:
1918 Ranger said:
Toeslider said:

1918 Ranger

Of course it's worth it to you...I'm just saying that to look at it as pictured, most people would pull something like that out of a barn and try to get $20 for it, or anything more than scrap price. To the untrained eye it's just a pile of parts, so to ask $60 for it seems like the owner might have had some sort of clue that it was worth more than scrap value. Even as a modified contraption it's not complete, so $60 seems like a high asking price, unless the seller knows it's made up of rare parts.

You got a deal for sure.
I had watched a front fork springer end bid on ebay for 3-400.00. Just a few months ago. Amazing what some items can sell for.

1918 Ranger

kingfish254 said:
Even in teh shape it is in, it was worth what you paid. I am never ashamed to ask if someone would take less.
Star Bike Shop here in Savannah has one of those on display. Here are some pics I took of it while researching how to build Flexy.
Let me know if you need more pics of different parts. I would be glad to go down there and take more.

WP_001053.jpg

20120519-WP_001524.jpg

20120519-WP_001526.jpg

20120519-WP_001525.jpg

Thanks Kingfish. I had forgotten Star had one. I was in there last summer and they have some nice top end bikes there. Thx

1918 Ranger

Great shop that sorta doubles as a museum (although he has been selling more and more).
Great people there too.
Check the bikes out here.
:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52766&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=star+bike

They were excited about my Flex-Liner 7 build. I promised to take it down there and show it to them, but haven't had the chance.

I really want to get of Flexy in front of the Twin Flex.

Latest posts

Back