Rare Huffman Twin Flex dual springer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a fun puzzle to watch come together. I can really relate to the re-engineering of the rear end.

Verrt said:
kingfish254 said:
That is just painful to look at.
How could someone do that to such a rare bike?

To be fair though, the hack up looks pretty old in it's self
If the seller pulled it out of a barn like that "years ago" who knows how long ago it was flipped
I mean it can only be so old, cause of the welds, but 60s or 70s are not out of the question.
It could have only been like a 20 or 30 year old bike when it was done.

I know no one would bat an eye at hacking up nearly anything from the 80s or 90s today. (nearly)
But 30 years from now I'll bet there'll be a one or two dudes even on RRB kicking themselves about what they've cut up and wish they still had.
klein and cannondale bikes of the 80's-90's are awesome,but I have seen some hacked and trashed,Klein paintjobs?some are awesome and then some random guy light sands and paints over it with house paint, WHO DOES THAT?

First off, I have always liked the twin flex Huffman's, definitely 'outside the box' thinking for it's time.

As for that tab, it may be nothing (stock that is). I haven't seen on any other ones, maybe it was part of the 'customization' phase of it's life. :roll:

Restored,
20120519-WP_001526.jpg

or otherwise...
$(KGrHqN,!iUE6QLsoE+RBOq(0v4nD!~~60_57.JPG

Great job resurrecting this classic!

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
First off, I have always liked the twin flex Huffman's, definitely 'outside the box' thinking for it's time.

As for that tab, it may be nothing (stock that is). I haven't seen on any other ones, maybe it was part of the 'customization' phase of it's life. :roll:

20120519-WP_001526.jpg

Tank, actually it is on the photo above from teh one at Star bike. Look past and in front of the hub to the inside on the left pivot point. There is that tab hanging down with the coaster brake attached to it. I did something similar on Flexy with a stainless bottle opener.

I see it now, I missed that the photo in question was looking at the INSIDE of the left chainstay/seatstay, not the OUTSIDE of the right. I now see the blur of the right side, got it, it's the brake arm strap.

Cheers,
Dr. T

ohdeebee said:
The top of your seat tube is hacked off also. Here is a pic of mine:
110512094209.jpg

If you need measurements let me know.

Here is a pic of the serial number on the back of my fork also.
110512094329.jpg

With this question raised on the seat post tube my dilemma is what to do. Re weld an extension back or leave alone and use the quill style lucky seven post? I'm leaning to leave alone and use the quill style post. What do u guys think?

1918 Ranger

Technically the seven post is not correct. Of the two flex's I've owned and the others that I've seen, none had a seven post. To find a donor frame shouldn't be an issue and this bike is worth the extra effort to bring it all the way back to what it should be.

ohdeebee said:
Technically the seven post is not correct. Of the two flex's I've owned and the others that I've seen, none had a seven post. To find a donor frame shouldn't be an issue and this bike is worth the extra effort to bring it all the way back to what it should be.

i agree 100%!

More progress this week

Forks are shaping up nicely. Thanks Keith

epu5yqaz.jpg

u7u7ypur.jpg

All I can find on a s/n.
yvetyzed.jpg

ereduvyz.jpg

Frame still coming together

I do have a donor for a proper seat post. Will be added soon
y9e3a8ap.jpg

Highwheelerboy25 laced up my wheels etc. thanks Josh. Looks awesome.

e7y5yges.jpg

gynapu7e.jpg

e2amy5u8.jpg

uqyzyhy7.jpg

1918 Ranger

Is that a C9 on the back of the fork? That would make it a '39. I can't make out the serial on the bottom bracket. Also, the rear brake arm is post war.

This weeks progress. The frame has the seat post tube repaired back to an original shape. Other metal work done and primed. Some more sanding and prime ring left but near ready.

Last step before:
yhetepyq.jpg

And now
susu9u6u.jpg

a6uharum.jpg

This small brace bar where the rear fender attaches had to be replaced and repaired.

husyzuvy.jpg

1918 Ranger

Framework is coming along great Ranger!

Sweet museum picks too.

Toeslider said:
More inspiration from the Bicycle Museum of America:

flex1.jpg

flex2.jpg

flex3.jpg

flex4.jpg
Yea thanks for these pics. The stripes outline were still on my frame and look pretty much like those on this one. Good to see another one as we pull this one together.

1918 Ranger

ohdeebee said:
Is that a C9 on the back of the fork? That would make it a '39. I can't make out the serial on the bottom bracket. Also, the rear brake arm is post war.
Do the pre war arms say, "new departure brake" on them?

1918 Ranger

Here are the '39 Huffman catalog scans. Keep in mind there are at LEAST 3 variations of the mens TANKED Twin-Flex. This is just the Huffman catalog. The Firestone version is most common and is most likely what your bike is (mine is a Firestone). The Dayton/National models are more dressed than the Huffman model and the Huffman model is more dressed than a Firestone model. They did come tankless as well although nobody seems to build them that way.

120512151016.jpg

120512151038.jpg

Back