Retro Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KOTA said:
I'm embarrassed to build another bike!

Don't be...you know,I'm not embarrassed to like your bikes! :wink:

Hopefully the rest of the red paint and the clearcoat that I've ordered will arrive at the store tomorrow or the day after, and then I'll be able to finish everything on this build reallly soon... :)

Finally! I called the store and the paint I've ordered has come in today! :D I'll pick it up after work, and hopefully get the bike done this weekend...

Hm...well, the clearcoat came today but they had forgot to order ther red backlight paint. :| I must say I had to take a few deep breaths to fend off the frustration. Then I remembered an autostore that I hadn't thought of before, because I didn't think they sold paint. I went there and found that they had one small can (150ml) of red backlight paint left, somewhat expensive but I bought it since that was my last chance to be able to paint the bike this weekend. It was a different brand than the one I used to paint the chainguard and shifter casing, and when I testpainted on a piece of cardboard it looked it had a more orange shade to it. Once again I had to take a few deep breaths. I decided to paint the frame anyway and hope that there wouldn't be too much difference and to my relief it came out pretty much excactly the same color as the chainguard. :D
Here it is when it's masked off with tape (and a black garbage bag) and the wingthing I made from clearcoated copying paper that I sprayglued on:
mladram2.jpg

Tadaa!! :D
mladram1.jpg

I did scallops (is that the right word for it?) on the fork. Don't know yet if that was a good idea or if I had better not done that, I guess I'll know when the bike is assembled. Some paint crept in under the tape, but I think that the pinstripes will cover that...I mean I'll make sure that the pinstripes cover that! :lol:
mladgaffel.jpg

Before I went home I clearcoated some other parts, and tomorrow I'll pinstripe the frame and the fork and do some more clearcoating.
I't's late here now, I'd better get some sleep! More photos tomorrow! :)

Thanks BrigmasterA and MAD MR! :)
Yesterday while I was doodling with the pinstripes my brother came over for a cup of coffe. He picked up the camera and took two photos of the...action... :lol:
So, here I am with my reading glasses, and a brush in my hand.
pinstriping1.jpg

Close up of what I was doing.
pinstriping2.jpg

I learned from my first build that the enamel I used for the pinstripe wrinkled when it was clearcoated. I kind of liked the effect that was giving and decided to use the same paint this time as well.
Here's a close up of it. It was tricky to make it show in a photo, but I guess you get a hint of what it looks like.
nrbildpinstripe.jpg

Here's the clearcoated frame.
mladram3.jpg

I'll try to assemble everything and get the bike done tomorrow... :)

looks awesome! i really like that bird ring! did you make that?

Thanks stretch! :) Nope, I bought that ring in Stockholm 17 years ago, when I visited my brother who lived there then. It was the first ring I ever bought, I liked it right away when I saw it! Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the jeweller. Never tried silversmithery, but think it would be fun to try it sometime!

well with your skills, i think you could definitly make those. just need to cast that one and make it out of whatever you want. :mrgreen:

Weeeeell, I had hoped to have it all ready and assembled by now, but the clearcoat doesn't seem to have cured fully all the way through yet. Guess it's partly because I sprayed it on in a couple of (maybe too :roll: ) heavy layers, and partly because it's not very warm weather here yet. So I'll wait some more before I make a bike out of the parts. Don't want to mess it up. I'll get the J.B.40-build going while I wait... :D

Done! :D
frdig1.jpg

frdig2.jpg

frdig3.jpg

frdig4.jpg

frdig5.jpg

frdig6.jpg

frdig7.jpg

I'll take some more photos of it with more detail and post them soon...

Thank you all for your encouragement, suggestions and helpful advice throughout this build, I really appreciate it! :D

thats looking good! i think brown leather looks sooo classey on an old bike. the brass and gold pinstriping set it off right.
nice work bro!

she turned out lovely
it is an amazing looking bike
the whole build thread is amazing, it is really nice to go through it from the beggining and watch it grow
hope you enjoy it

Thanks icyuod2! Glad you like the colours, I'm happy with how they turned out too. I was lucky to find that brown fake leather, just the right colour to make it look a little vintage. If I hadn't run out of red paint I probably would have put some red on the fenders as well.
Thanks Greylock and snfargle! I made this bike on commission, so I hope Lars will enjoy it when he gets it! :)

Galtbacken is the name of the place where my house is located. In the old days that piece of land belonged to a big farm and I guess they probably kept the pigs there. Galt means boar and backen means hill...so my bikes could be called Pigshill in english!? :lol:

Latest posts

Back