Retro Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I look at your builds with amazment. You really have a 3-D eye. It's to bad we are all mortal, so little time to do the things that makes us happy. I took a look at the Vincent you made, another nice build. You must fabricate in your dreams, how do you get rest?

As a favor, and believe me when I say I don't want to break your stride, could you give a look at this http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14487. No big thing, maybe you can help me.

Humble but happy

GL

Thank you all for your kind words! Although I mainly try to make a bike the way I think it'll look good and ride well, it's such an encouragement to hear that you appreciate what I do! And I'm still somewhat surprized over your reactions, because in my mind I'm still just a beginner who's trying to learn more. For example, before I built the Vincent bike I had never touched a welder in my life, and I know that there must be so much that I don't know yet and better ways to do things. With this said I say thank you again, I'm glad I found this place! :)

Today I put on the chain and the gear cable and went for the first test ride! :D Nice feeling even if it's not perfect conditions for riding a bike today with soft melting snow on the dirt road outside my house. Here are some photos of the bike fully assembled.
mockup5.jpg

mockup6.jpg

mockup7.jpg

I guess the next thing to do is to take it all apart and prep it for paint! :)

Graylock said:
It's to bad we are all mortal, so little time to do the things that makes us happy.

All the more reason to do things that make us and the people around us happy as much of the time as we can! :)

Graylock said:
You must fabricate in your dreams, how do you get rest?

I wish I did! :lol: I guess I'm thinking about it often and figure out design ideas while working or doing other things, so that when I've got time to work on the bike I don't have to think about what to do but just do it. :) But sometimes it's frustrating because there are often more ideas than there's time to carry them out. Right now for instance, I already have the next bike pretty much all figured out and I've also got some of the parts I'll use for it, and I've got ideas for at least five more bikes after that... :roll:

I'll take a look at your link, I'm glad if I can be of any help!

And bring.doom, just go for it and have fun! :D

That's all for now!!

Thanks cman! :)

Today I disassembled the bike to start sanding everything...get rid of some rust before bondo and paint.
isrplockad.jpg

That's about all I've done today. :roll:

BrigmasterA: As I was sanding the whole bike, it looked like brushed aluminum and to be honest I was tempted to leave it like that! :D But I've already got a paint scheme figured out that I think will look good too, so some time I might do another bike instead and leave that one bare metal. :)

Gold Street Customs: Haha!! :lol: Yepp, parts of the bike will be red! I'll try to achieve sort of a candy red colour...candy ketchup red... :D

Today I've got my hands messy. Your hands are often the best tools and unfortunately that's also true in some cases when it comes to applying bondo. Next time I'll use some protective gloves, because it wasn't easy to get it off my fingers when it had cured and it's probably not healthy to get in contact with it on bare skin. :| Anyway, it's done now...
isrplockadspacklad.jpg

Next thing to do will be to sand it and maybe if there's a need for it in some places, use some more bondo and sand again. I'll see what I've got time to do this evening!

Thanks! :D
It came back to me...I suddenly remember how utterly boring it is to sand filler! Anyone agree, raise your hand please. :lol:
So after spending a few hours sanding and still having the frame and most of the fork left to do (only the small parts done), I've decided not to bother too much if there's a little scratch here and there when I'm done. There won't be a second layer of filler sanded to perfection, I've soon reached the end of my patience when it comes to sanding... :roll: I'll probably lay down some extra coats of primer and paint instead! :D
I'll be back with more photos soon...

Today I got almost all of the frame sanded, then I ran out of sandpaper. :roll: I'll buy some more tomorrow (got a day off from work) and try to finish sanding the frame and the fork.
When I took some shorter brakes from my royal enjoyment (sanding the frame) I primed and painted the reflectors for the lights. If I remember it right that chrome paint takes a little longer to cure than other rattlecan paint, so I thought I'd better get those parts painted before the rest of the bike.
Primed:
lyktinsatsergrundfrg.jpg

Chrome painted:
lyktinsatserchrome.jpg

Yesterday I bought paint for the rest of the bike. I'll start painting it as soon as possible! :)

Gold Street Customs said:
Hence the reason why my 72 Monte Carlo has been in primer for five years.....

:lol:

Decided to prime all the parts that are sanded, trying to be as efficient as possible. While these parts cure I'll sand the last few things on the frame and the fork.
grundmlat1.jpg

After work tomorrow I'll paint them silver.

Thank you Conny for letting me use your workshop! :D

This afternoon I painted the primed parts silver, but somehow forgot to take photos. :? I'll do that tomorrow. The colour came out really good! It's got some kind of flake in it, looks a little like a colour you'd expect to see on a late 60's/early 70's chopper. :D

Here's the logo that I'll paint on the chainguard. It's the same one I did on the Vincent bike. Pencil on paper...
Galtbackenlogga.jpg

And here's the wingdesign for the frame.
vingdesign.jpg

We'll see what progress I make tomorrow...

you sir, are truly inspirational! 8) awesome piece of craftsmanship and design! this is the kind of build,that could sway the RRBO into 2 classes!.....but since i`m a caveman,ill just stick with what i know. :wink:

Back