█ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 6/13 New Shop Photos pg36

Peatbog said:
Maybe try the "free" section in craigslist and hope someone is looking to have an old broken washing machine, refrigerator, dryer or whatever that needs hauled off. Instant sheet metal, and scrap money for the rest.
Thats a good idea . :idea: They also sell these plastic sheets at Home depot that are durable light weight & easy to cut .( I wouldnt use it for the flooring) but it would be great for the sides & top ect . Heck you could have a side car with a roof .. :D

I've put out some local ads, hopefully will get something soon. Been offered (and have) sheet aluminum, but I need steel... steel is real.

It shouldn't be hard to find an old fridge and cut the steel panels from that.

kingfish254 said:
It shouldn't be hard to find an old fridge and cut the steel panels from that.

I don't think you realize how cutthroat the scrap business is in poorer towns. A scrap guy in my church had over $3500 in scrap stolen from his property, that's in scrap price, but it was over $6000 in stuff that wasn't scrap. If a car is over 10 years old they don't need to see a title to scrap it, so people are stealing cars and scrapping them immediately and by time they are reported stolen, they've already been shredded and someone walked with cash. If I throw a bike frame on the alley it will be gone in less than 30 minutes... guaranteed. The stuff I find... it's just luck.

Maybe you can get a scrap buggy top from the Amish? :wink:

bike2112 said:
I will second that. The bell in my wifes church back home in GA got stolen. Who does that?!?!

It had to have been the Debil
when he went down to Georgia

55764d1241111901-official-seinfield-thread-season-2-25-waterboy3.jpg

Peatbog said:
You can find pictures of about anything on the internet.

Yes, even Steamed Rat. :p

Somebody set that poor Honda Ascot free and send it my way :shock:

Yoothgeye,
I feel your pain with the scrappers, here they are even stealing the siding off of mobile homes in some neighborhoods if the owners leave long enough. Like an 8 hour workday or weekend at the beach.
Bike looks good, your thread is entertaining, loved the video, plus you still get everything done at the church, all I can say is wow.
Keep up the great work!

motopsyco said:
Yoothgeye,
I feel your pain with the scrappers, here they are even stealing the siding off of mobile homes in some neighborhoods if the owners leave long enough. Like an 8 hour workday or weekend at the beach.
Bike looks good, your thread is entertaining, loved the video, plus you still get everything done at the church, all I can say is wow.
Keep up the great work!

Thanks man, it has been busy this year, until I see the sheet metal I'm not going to be convinced I can do this.

motopsyco said:
Don't worry the bunnies believe in you :wink:

This is good to know.

Peatbog said:
You know, it would be funny if when you get your needed sheet metal it comes from an old Volkswagen Rabbit.

Haha, I might can get some from an old Dodge van. I was called to the church about an hour ago because the emergency flashers were flashing on the van. I went there to turn them off thinking a kid had gotten in the van and turned them on as a prank. Nope, they popped out the rear door lock (well covered) and climbed through and tried to remove the lock cylinder to steal the van. They came really close, but I think the emergency flashers spooked them and made them cut bait. The flasher switch is well hidden on those older Dodge vans and I bet they just couldn't find it to turn it off after accidentally pressing it in.

The police said they think it's the same 2 guys (on bicycles...) who also broke into a truck at the high school tonight, but were caught and run off by a neighbor.

Ugh, now I'm wide awake... I got church in the morning!

What lost soul try to steal a church van????
That's just so wrong!!!!

OK, so I went out in the shop tonight and tried to do some work, but I tell you, motivation is hard this year. Last year I had a friend come over and build with me or just hang out, and having someone there really helped keep things moving. Working alone sucks.

Anyway, first off, I blue my fork (Tobias Fünke reference).

Pick your poison:
SAM_0847.jpg

I don't know how old this stuff is, I used some last year on little nuts and bolts that held my rear rack on the 76er. I foudn the bottle in my father-in-law's shop and he said I could have it and that it probably was no good anymore:
SAM_0848.jpg

Before the blue I had to fix something, this fork is going to be used as the moving part of the springer, I didn't want to just paint it OD like most everything else, I want it to stand out a little, thus the blue, but I also had to clearance it to allow proper movement of the rockers, here it is before:
SAM_0849.jpg

And here it is after a little trimming:
SAM_0850.jpg

Happy with the trimming, I filed the edges and steel wooled the fork and blued it:
SAM_0851.jpg

The Opti Gloss Serious Shine can in the picture is what I've been using to clean and polish all my bikes lately. It's a product I found at Ollies, but the last time I went to get more they only had one bottle left. It cleans and then polishes, and it makes a silky smooth surface, I used it after the blue to protect the fork more and keep it pretty, if you can find any of it, buy a can.

At this point I got distracted and took some 20x2.35 tires off some rims that I found and removed "MONGOOSE" from the sidewall with acetone, they are in perfect shape and will look good on my Polished Turd project bike.

Then I got to working on my '56 J.C. Higgins that I need to get ready for vacation and I have to start a new thread right now to figure out the euro bottom bracket on it.

As I was walking out and stepping over the sidecar I was pretty pleased with the monkey bars:
SAM_0853.jpg

I forgot to photograph this, I did this last thursday to "fill" the hole in the bottom of the sidecar:
SAM_0854.jpg

Not sure about placement if you will see bars under it or just the road flying by, should be cool anyway.

Then I was closing the shop door and realized I need to tear down some more bikes, ugh...
SAM_0855.jpg

Won't someone come build with me? :(

Re: █ ▌▌G.I.JESSE JAMES ▌▌█ 6/19 Tobias Fünke

I would come build with ya if I only lived closer..I know how ya feel everything Ive built so far has been alone. 8) :mrgreen:

FatBoy said:
I would come build with ya if I only lived closer..I know how ya feel everything Ive built so far has been alone. 8) :mrgreen:

I enjoy tinkering alone most times, but it would be cool if I knew another builder in town.

kingfish254 said:
FatBoy said:

I enjoy tinkering alone most times, but it would be cool if I knew another builder in town.

Since I started tinkering with bikes(earlier this year) Iv'e been trying to lure friends into building a bike so I can have someone to geek out with. Unfortunately most of my friends think I'm a nut as soon as I start talking about it. They looked at me like I had two heads when I explained how excited I was to find a stick shift. Luckily I have this site and you guys. Thanks.

Well, glad (but not really) that others know what I'm going through.

When I was on 4x4 websites every once in a while someone would have a Wrench Fest where they would provide food at their house and others would come and help them work on their 4x4 and sometimes others rides too. They would get a lot done in a day. I need to start a list and buy some steaks. :mrgreen:

Back