☆★☆BIG JIM☆★☆ BUILD THREAD RRB-BO#8 A.G. 2013 (1ST PLACE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. Progress: WE HAVE A ROLLER!!!

Wow! 29 pages!
QUOTE WITH PICS FOR THE NEW PAGE:
LukeTheJoker said:
Update: We have a roller! :D
Dropouts made and mounted:

9206392327_ab1323555a.jpg

Forks on the bike and bike rolling!

9206392489_802269e497.jpg

9206392413_a78f88f815.jpg

You will have to ignore the open-unfinished ends on the triple tree mounts, did not get them finished off yet.
Had a sit on it and a roll around, pretty hard without handlebars on but it is already clear that a firm hand on the bars will be needed when turning! :shock: :lol:
I will have to brush up on my counter-steer technique, been a while since I have needed it! Should be fine though with the bars I have planned...

Luke.

kingfish254 said:
I knew all that sickness talk was just for sympathy votes. :wink: :p :mrgreen:
:lol: I wonder myself sometimes! It always seems that I have a bad run and as soon as I decide to give up I start feeling better... :roll:
Maybe I should give up earlier and more regularly?

By the way, as predicted, NO KICKSTAND NECCESARY! :mrgreen: :lol:

Luke

kingfish254 said:
It's a Steam Roller alright!

You've got to paint this beast yellow! :mrgreen:

1364954345606.jpg

I knew you wouldn't need a kickstand!

Thanks Guys! :D

As for painting it yellow, I admit that the paint colour is still up in the air, and I may yet go that way, but I am leaning more towards the International Orange than yellow...
Got a few more ideas to come yet, I will have to see them on the bike before that decision gets made.

Luke.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :shock: 8) 8) 8) 8)

Gold Street Customs said:
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :shock: 8) 8) 8) 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luke.

man 'm gone for 4 days and WOW :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) uber awesome Luke :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Troy

Thanks Jats! Welcome back and I am sure looking forward to seeing the progress on both yours and Momma Jats' builds! :D

Did not get a real lot done today, did a lot of planning and a little lathe work trying to make detail items for the bike, cant show you them yet as they are still a long way from finished BUT I can show you what I received today from a machinist friend of my Dad's...

9212328757_32c8b41901.jpg

Turns out "Big Jim" ordered them for me! The three plates there are two for the sprocket mounts (top left and the right hand which is the rear wheel one already fitted to the sprocket for demonstration purposes) the other is for the brake disc when it arrives, hoping the specifications we received when ordering the disc will be accurate when it gets here, will drill the mounting holes to suit...

Very impressive work and extremely grateful to the old man for getting them done for me! :D Going to save a huge amount of work building the drivetrain...

Luke.

heya luke
the bikes looking sweeter every time i see it!!!!!
looks like you got a lot of progress on it
keep up the good work im very interested in it
Sean

Thanks Sean!

Went out to dinner tonight, a little place called "Pavonia Place" They have an outside dining area with chalkboards on the walls and chalk on the tables, the inside tables have paper down on them and crayons on the tables for drawing...

Anyway, Dad was asking about the next step on the bike and what got worked on next, so we drew up the drivetrain on the wall and threw in a little advertising for the site while we were at it... :lol:

9213107461_1e40fe2c7e.jpg

Cant work on the drivetrain much till the brake disc arrives, so next will be either the bars or the front bottom bracket...

Luke.

Re: ☆★☆Ꭼsє LᎾ₡Ꮎ JᎾKᎬЯ!☆★☆ RRBO#8. Progress: DRIVETRAIN PARTS.

Glad to see you got your " second wind" :mrgreen:

LukeTheJoker said:
Thanks Lucas!

Update: We have a roller! :D
Dropouts made and mounted:

9206392327_ab1323555a.jpg

Forks on the bike and bike rolling!

9206392489_802269e497.jpg

9206392413_a78f88f815.jpg

You will have to ignore the open-unfinished ends on the triple tree mounts, did not get them finished off yet.
Had a sit on it and a roll around, pretty hard without handlebars on but it is already clear that a firm hand on the bars will be needed when turning! :shock: :lol:
I will have to brush up on my counter-steer technique, been a while since I have needed it! Should be fine though with the bars I have planned...

Luke.
Luke your bike makes the rest of our Fat bikes look skinny. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

junknutz1975 said:
Glad to see you got your " second wind" :mrgreen:
Thanks JunkNutz!
dracothered said:
Luke your bike makes the rest of our Fat bikes look skinny. :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well 9 inch wide tires will do that! :mrgreen:
Got my imported 26x4 Mongoose Beast wheels now though, so look out for my next fat bike build... :wink:

Luke.

Wow what a build!The frame and wheels are insane! i love it! hats off to you for what you have done in your holiday. I am looking forward to seeing the finished beast!

Thanks MrFlibbles!

Coming along nicely at the moment, cant see it getting painted in time for the deadline but I predict it will be finished otherwise and I will be riding it around everywhere on the way home... :mrgreen:
At least I wont have to worry about scratching it during the disassembly/assembly required to get it in and out of the trailer! :wink:

Hope the brake disc arrives in tomorrows post...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
At least I wont have to worry about scratching it during the disassembly/assembly required to get it in and out of the trailer! :wink:

Hope the brake disc arrives in tomorrows post...

Luke.

A bike that's TOO BIG for a trailer.... I LOVE IT! :wink: :lol:

Luke! your bike is realy incredible :D and you never have to worry about the kick stand failing :D :D :D :roll: :roll: painting the beast is going to be a real challenge wit hall the angles and joints :!: :!: :!: :wink:

Troy

junknutz1975 said:
A bike that's TOO BIG for a trailer.... I LOVE IT! :wink: :lol:
:lol: Yep! It sure is a monster!

noodlenoggin said:
This has gotta be my favorite build in the no-holds-barred (wait...anything goes?) build-off. I'll be watching to see how it finishes off.
Thanks NoodleNoggin! Keep watching, I have some more ideas in mind that should send it over the top!

jats said:
Luke! your bike is realy incredible :D and you never have to worry about the kick stand failing :D :D :D :roll: :roll: painting the beast is going to be a real challenge wit hall the angles and joints :!: :!: :!: :wink:

Troy
Kickstand? What kickstand! :mrgreen: Yep! No problems there!
Painting will be interesting, but that is a problem for when I am at home with my own compressor and spray equipment, that way I will know what to expect and should be able to work out a solution that gives it the finish it needs... :wink: That might turn into a build thread all of its own: "Painting the Behemoth" :lol:

Luke.

No problems about painting it.
Go the old Aussie style;
1. Find local sheep or cattle dip not being used.
2. Mask up only areas where no paint required.
3. Fill cattledip with desired paint colour.
4. Drive your animal (construction) into one end of cattle dip.
5. Urge the item along the cattle dip.
6. Lead it out of dip along upwards slope.
7. Leave to dry as required.

Optional step 8 paint any contrasting areas with 4 inch paint brush.

After all the major bridges in Brisbane and Sydney never get completely painted one end to another in the same year.

This construction is almost big enough to apply for a government grant as a major regional project.

All of the above is an attempt to appreciate the size of the monster Luke will be dealing with in the form of humour.

:shock: :lol:

Back