SWB0 đź‡­đź‡˛ Sprint 12 - Done.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up this 1982 Malvern Star Sprint 12 off FB Marketplace for $A50.

1.jpg

Malvern Star is a storied name in Australian Cycling that was sold to Raleigh in 1980. They subsequently moved production to Japan and Taiwan and this one's Serial number says it is a Japanese built model with a hi-tensile steel frame.

It has basic 6x2 Shimano running gear and other components. It's a bit rough, and has obviously been sitting for a long time - but it's a lovely lugged frame - and most importantly for me is that it's a 64cm - 6'5" guy's special! Rare here - and mainly why I bought it.

I've got a number of parts that I have replaced on the '84 Peugeot in stock too. The planning has begun. Tally ho mates!

Day 1 - just unloaded.

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
7.jpg
10.jpg
9.jpg

Edited for typos.

Last edited:
Further research reveals that this model 'probably' has a CroMo triangle and HT stays and fork.

Considering these options:
1. Use what I learned from my mistakes on the Peugeot build and paint it myself with spray.bike DIY powder coat.
2. Have it professionally powder coated (awaiting quotes)
3. Chrome plate it. (also awaiting quotes- but I think this would be awesome!)

Is begins.

The rims are going to come up as-new. I hit them with a good polish and the surface pitting came straight off. The hubs are responding well to a sanding block and the surface rust is coming off pretty well too. They'll polish up OK.

16.jpg

What I can't get off is the freewheel. I've got 4 different remover tools, but nothing like this - no lock ring.
Is it the variety where the top cog screws on? Never seen one before.
Unfortunately I only have 1 chain whip.
Figure I'll take it to my local shop pros - unless someone here has a cunning plan?

I've pulled the bearings out and cleaned up the cones, but stopped for now.

15.jpg

Are you going to keep the plastic disk from behind the sprockets?

It is the one thing that mostly gets chucked away on bikes, even though they were new when I was young and I kind of feel sorry for them when they are removed.

Further research reveals that this model 'probably' has a CroMo triangle and HT stays and fork.

Considering these options:
1. Use what I learned from my mistakes on the Peugeot build and paint it myself with spray.bike DIY powder coat.
2. Have it professionally powder coated (awaiting quotes)
3. Chrome plate it. (also awaiting quotes- but I think this would be awesome!)
Those are all good options. Chrome would be amazing but it’s pretty expensive around here. Your Peugeot came out so nice I think you can’t really go wrong. Cool bike!

Current and Goal
Those are all good options. Chrome would be amazing but it’s pretty expensive around here. Your Peugeot came out so nice I think you can’t really go wrong. Cool bike!

Cheers, I think the decision has been made for me.

I rang 4 chrome platers around town and none of them do bicycle frames. I could try further afield, but meh.

So I rang the powder coater I've used before and they were 'all too buy to give me an estimate' and haven't rung me back. IE - we don't want the job.

So I'll spray.bike it myself in Coventry Red. By far the cheapest option anyway and, as noted - the Peugeot experience will help.

Thanks - I took it up to my shop this morning and they undid it - no charge.

But here's where I'm at.

As long as the original cluster isn't loose, it's good. The bike looks like it didn't see a lot of use from the first pics.

The original paint looks good also.

As long as the original cluster isn't loose, it's good. The bike looks like it didn't see a lot of use from the first pics.

The original paint looks good also.

Thanks for that - no slop - I'll clean it up and re-use. - And yes agree - there is very little wear on the chainrings or cogs - it has more signs of being stored for a very long time.

And yeah - the paint is still viable, but the decals are tired and it's shabby in places. I want to restore it to glory days.

18.jpg

Latest posts

Back