SWB0 🇭🇲 Sprint 12 - Done.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kept the original imperfect paint on my Hercules, probably early 70's.
1969 Hercules 10 speed.jpg

barry-hercules-05_800.jpg

And yeah - the paint is still viable, but the decals are tired and it's shabby in places. I want to restore it to glory days.

Ol' Bruce looks a little tired and shabby compared to his glory days too.

Just sayin'. :bigsmile:

You know what - you're right. I hit it with some Mother's detailer and it's not too bad under the dust and gunk.
What I'll need is some touch-up paint though.
But see what it looks like when I get it all torn down.
Which reminds me of another old Aussie Classic.

It has a few bad wounds that will need work. Or I might just paint it because 'maroon'.
Or not.
Don't have to decide now. But thanks for the tips.

19.jpg

Nice shine.

21.jpg

I was just checking the prices on Brooks Saddles currently - yikes!

The stock seat is in good condition, but it's pretty cheap looking.

I do have a Brooks B17 Carved on the shelf but the frame rails were bent from crash damage.
After seeing the replacement price I set about it with the rubber mallet and managed to 'encourage it back into shape. Laced it up and Job done:

22.jpg

The Assistants approve.

23.jpg

The brakes are Japanese Dia Compe are in good order - and have polished up well. Now fitted with some Flybikes BMX pads. Much nicer than the current Dia stuff.

The stem also polished up well. I'll use it with the bars and levers off the Peugeot - they are exactly the same bars and the Pug had nicer (very similar) levers. And I've already refurb'd 'em.

The derailleurs were pretty sticky/tight and in poor condition front and rear. But I found a second hand front in VG condition for $20 that just arrived - and a NOS rear Tourney 6 speed that will work - awaiting delivery.

Working on refurbishing the shifters and cable guides next.

Then I'll pull the cranks and look at the top bracket.

Tyres and tubes are here too.

24.jpg

Fully torn down.

The BB was reasonably stubborn, and the headset was particularly cantankerous, but we got there with plenty of WD-40 loosening the way.
Refurb of those parts and the cranks next.

Caged headset bearings are so much easier than loose.

The powder coater eventually got back to me. I think I will go that way. Still undecided. I could maybe try and repair the paint, but what it really comes down to is that I don't like the colour.

Maroon is Queensland's state colour and I'm a New South Welshman! But it's all a bit blah.

It would look wicked in a bright red - and they go faster.

26.jpg

The powder coater eventually got back to me. I think I will go that way. Still undecided. I could maybe try and repair the paint, but what it really comes down to is that I don't like the colour.

Maroon is Queensland's state colour and I'm a New South Welshman! But it's all a bit blah.

It would look wicked in a bright red - and they go faster.
Bright red powder coat! :thumbsup: Keeping the half chrome on the fork I hope.

Decision made. It has gone to the powder coaters. 7-10 Working days for their brightest red with a slight metal fleck. Tape the chrome on the forks.

Meantime I've been working of the cranks. They are really nice and have polished up a treat.

32.jpg

Also confirms that it is an '82.

33.jpg

The outer sprocket cover is powder coated alloy - and scratched up - so I painted it with some metallic gloss silver.

38.jpg

37.jpg

The bad news is that the chrome spoke protector won't work with this freewheel. Not enough clearance - so I' have a cunning plan for the old plastic one.

35.jpg

The rim tape was in good condition (this bike hasn't been ridden much at all) so I added some rubber tube protectors and fitted the tyres.

These Schwalbes are SO much nicer than the Duros I put on the Peugeot. Wheels are looking great.

36.jpg

I think I'll put a new sealed bearing headset in it too.

But till I get the frame back I'm just going to be tinkering with detail stuff.

We'll see how it looks on the bike before deciding.

39.jpg

Peugeot Bars and Wiemann levers fitted to MS stem.

40.jpg

Questions for the collective:

42.jpg

I bought these small fenders for another crack at fitting them on the Pug. but they just won't work - not enough clearance.

Put them in the Sprint 12? I'm thinking no - but will hear argument.

Also, Kickstand on this bike - yes or no. I'm also thinking no - it's a hot rod!

Thoughts?

Meanwhile I wait for paint to cure.

41.jpg

Well it is funny that the plastic disc is going on the wheel after all, hopefully it will look good when it has been painted, and stand out well among all those metal ones.

I don't think I would but they would be nice if it rained.
Kickstand
Yes if you mount then fenders, no if you don't.

Looking good so far! I really like the tires and the other parts you're going to use. It will be interesting to see how the red spoke protector plays with the new powdercoat. :thumbsup:

Back