1/4 mEyel cReaper 'Tis Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/4 mEyel cReaper

Things have been crazy busy, especially with other bikes, lol. Did some work on this Hawthorne this past weekend and it has been making me toy with the idea of a frame change to this style:

ratbike2012.jpg

ratbike2010.jpg

Re: 1/4 mEyel cReaper 3-Gills are Better then None

After getting off course with work and other projects, I am back to the build off. I decided to stay with the original frame and got a SimpleMan custom fork that is raked out a bit and matches colours nicely. I also snagged an old Miller generator head and taillight for $1 from the Canadian Vintage Bicycle Show recently. After months of looking I also found a 3-gill tank, so the shifter position had to change. Reaped a sweet Snyder stem off a bike I built for a customer. Here it all is so far:

bikestuff064-1.jpg

bikestuff180.jpg

bikestuff181.jpg

bikestuff182.jpg

bikestuff187.jpg

bikestuff188.jpg

bikestuff191.jpg

bikestuff184.jpg

bikestuff185.jpg

bikestuff183.jpg

bikestuff189.jpg

bikestuff186.jpg

bikestuff190.jpg

Now back to the bins for more parts. Cheers, Jordan

Great ideas. It's looking good.

The slick and the shifter look tough.

Can't wait to see more.

Good luck.

Very cool, that front fork is awesome! I think it's great how you guys can match up parts and make things look like they belong! Hopefully in time as I continue to pursue this as a hobby that will happen for me!

Re: 1/4 mEyel cReaper Lights Are Done!

I finally got some holidays from the extermination business and started at the the local Home Depot. Picked up a 10 pack of LED flashlights, with batteries, and got to thinking. Since I hate the look of generator lights, why not convert them?

bikestuff196.jpg

I put a glass Miller taillight on top of the one in previous pics and dug the look.

bikestuff195.jpg

I pulled apart the bottom light to see what I was going to be up against.

bikestuff194.jpg

Busted out the Dremel and proceeded to gut the poor thing, lol. I figured one of the headlights would fit in the housing with some effort and shaving. After I disassembled the body of the light, I used the Dremel to grind down all the big edges and make it more round for the housing.

bikestuff197.jpg

bikestuff198.jpg

bikestuff199.jpg

The original light was held in place by a wishbone shaped bracket, but the light was too big for it to still be used. I used needle-nosed pliers to un-crimp the edges of the bezel so it could be turned into place instead.

bikestuff202.jpg

After some adjustments it works perfectly, right-tighty . . . you know the rest.

bikestuff200.jpg

bikestuff201.jpg

bikestuff207.jpg

Now it was the headlight's turn. I pulled the headlight apart and sized up one of the longer lights for it. I removed the original light and holder and used the Dremel to grind out the original hole for a snug fit for the new light.

bikestuff204.jpg

bikestuff203.jpg

Once again the Dremel and some electrical tape did the trick.

bikestuff205.jpg

bikestuff208.jpg

bikestuff206.jpg

Cheers, Jordan

Re: 1/4 mEyel cReaper Lights Are Done!

Nice job on the lights. I bought a lot of vintage bike lights and parts with the same ideas in minde.
I converted a few beer cans into headlights and taillights this time around.

Re: 1/4 mEyel cReaper Tanks A Lot!

The 3-gill gods have smiled on me. Got another one :D . The gloss red has to go though, maybe Halloween orange and black? Gross green and black or red would be nice too. This will be today's project after a cruise along the lake to get in the way of the spandex love gods, who think they are in the The Tour De Farce!

bikestuff209.jpg

bikestuff210.jpg

bikestuff211.jpg

Cheers, Jordan

Looking real good.Let me know if you wana get rid of one of those tanks :wink: been lookin for one.
-Kreep-

THIS BIKE IS SO SWEET. I'M GLAD YOU STAYED WITH IT. IT'S COMING ALONG FINE. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT PAINTED. IT'S GONNA BE UP THERE ON MY LIST SO...GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Re: 1/4 mEyel cReaper Orange Gives Way to Black!

I disassembled the headlight, tank and fork and got to painting. Spray painted the light, tank and fork rods pumpkin orange.

bikestuff222.jpg

bikestuff223.jpg

bikestuff217.jpg

bikestuff224.jpg

Took another look at scallops and darts on the frame and fork and masked them off. I then hand-painted zesty orange into the masked off areas. I applied it a bit thick to get into the cracks and crevices left in the original paint. Some spots it got to flow through nicely.

bikestuff213.jpg

bikestuff214.jpg

bikestuff218.jpg

I let the orange set for a beer and picked up a small can of flat black. Using a softer brush, I gently painted the flat black onto the raised parts of the old paint to give the overall impression of original cracked scallops.

bikestuff220.jpg

bikestuff215.jpg

bikestuff221.jpg

Cheers, Jordan

Decided on the chainguard. This rusty old feather guard fits the build nicely.

bikestuff225.jpg

Masked off everything except the lines on the guard and applied some fast dry primer.

bikestuff226.jpg

More to come tomorrow, cheers, Jordan

It was a scorching 35C (95F) here today, great day to paint because the entire outside was an oven! Laid the orange down for the grooves on the chainguard, the truss rods, rear fender stripes and flat blacked the hardware for the fork. I just need to clean up the edges a bit and these parts good-to-go! Cheers, Jordan

bikestuff227.jpg

bikestuff229.jpg

bikestuff230.jpg

I used a tribal bleeding skull and melting zombie face decals on the rear fender.

bikestuff228.jpg

Re: 1/4 mEyel cReaper Some Test Fitting!

I blew off going to the V.I.P. section of the movies with the neighbour tonight because I am too absorbed in this build. After letting the painted parts bake in the sun for hours, I had to see what some of them looked like to make sure I was following the right track in my head. Here's a better pic of the painted chainguard:

bikestuff243.jpg

I re-installed the truss rods and dropouts on the front fork.

bikestuff234.jpg

bikestuff235.jpg

I put the rear fender on and a pre-war glass bead reflector.

bikestuff231.jpg

bikestuff236.jpg

bikestuff239.jpg

bikestuff238.jpg

Then it was time to test fit the fender with the Sulky Slick.

bikestuff240.jpg

bikestuff241.jpg

bikestuff242.jpg

I have tomorrow off, did someone say a grinder and a fender? Cheers, Jordan

Re: 1/4 mEyel cReaper Shifter Done!

Work has been nuts, but come heck or whatever this bike will be done just in time! I lightly sanded down the orange paint to get rid of the gloss. Also tried to age some of the paint with some harder sanding. Got the shift cable installed, stupid cheap white metal! I snapped the pinch bolt with barely any pressure, so I swapped it out for some older made in Canada bolts I had. Headlight housing has been mounted as well. Painted a graveyard theme on both sides of the tank. I have not hand-painted anything since about grade 10 art as well, lol. Cheers, Jordan.

bikestuff247.jpg

bikestuff248.jpg

bikestuff250.jpg

bikestuff246.jpg

bikestuff249.jpg

Re: 1/4 mEyel cReaper Shifter Done!

LOOKS GREAT!! I'LL SEE YA AT THE FINISHED PAGE...NOW GET TA BUILDIN'!! PEACE

Re: 1/4 mEyel cReaper Me So Horny!

I got the other half of the tank painted today.

bikestuff259.jpg

What good is a horn tank without a horn? I don't have any decent small button units in my bins. Buying a repop and then dremelling out the tank hole seemed like a waste of good micro-brew money, so I picked out the this bar mounted Tanita horn and got to thinking. The button was the right size and colour for the hole to start.

bikestuff252.jpg

bikestuff251.jpg

I removed the bar-mount bracket and flattened out the bracket for the button. I figured the bolt to hold the tank halves together might be long enough to hold the unit in place, and I was right :) I then screwed in the one hole on the button bracket and marked where to drill another on the other side to match the tank holes.

bikestuff254.jpg

bikestuff253.jpg

bikestuff255.jpg

Looks nice and clean with the paint job!

bikestuff256.jpg

Pillaged this old Troxel off another old Hawthorne. As rough as it looks, it still is pretty comfy.

bikestuff261.jpg

Snagged a dog-leg crank, Phantom sprocket, grease, bearings, hardware and gloves.

bikestuff260.jpg

Trying out some apes and a Monark seat, not too keen either of them though.

bikestuff257.jpg

Back out to garage to find the crustiest kickstand I have. Cheers, Jordan

Looks good :wink: I like the seat and apes :mrgreen:

I really like that tank paint job.

Back