1961 Schwinn Twin Straight Bar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Just now getting around to this build have been looking forward to for awhile. Purchased frame from a member of this site before thanksgiving gathered parts finished other projects Now is time to get this build going. Frame is 1961 Schwinn twin straight bar not sure if it is a Typhoon or Tornado or maybe even a Skipper. Just between us we will never say the word "Skipper" ever again.
1.jpg
3.jpg
As you can see from previous pic had been painted green over the Schwinn Red was unable to remove green and save red. Was going to repaint anyway. Color I chose is a Gold Metallic due to my Older brother had a Gold Corvette after he got out from college. He passed over 15 years ago so kinda of a tribute to his memory. This is what I'm using for paint and a few pictures. Going to wait a about a week before applying decals and shooting the clear on frame and forks. Time will allow for extra chrome polishing. Thanks for taking time to look.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 280
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 275
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 266
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 269
Looks great ! Cool frame for KLunking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finished build this morning I really like the way it came out. There are a few things that I wish would have come out better, If this was going to someone besides myself I would go back and do things over. ( which I still may do anyway ) As earlier stated was going to apply decals and then spray with spraymax 2K clear very good clear by the way just maybe not right for bike due to spray tip, has very wide fan pattern so alot of clear goes into air. Little tough to build film with that wide of fan on bike frame. Dries very quickly at warm temps about 2 hours at 82 deg. Problem was decal started to lift on a few edges not real bad but you can see them without trying to hard. Will try get them to lay down with a few things I have done in past.

Ok now lets get to the fun part everything esle came out better than I thought it would. Got the look I was going for rides great. Still working on chainguard waiting on paint to dry. Positive comments from neighbors during the test ride. Could not be happier. Hope you enjoy what I have done as much as I have. Thanks for looking sorry about the long post.
25.jpg
27.jpg
26.jpg

Great frame, nice build. I like it alot!!

looks nice, matches my jeep! Nice rack on the back too (never thought Id say that to another guy, maybe its the skipper thing :p )

Looks good! It probably is a Tornado, for 2 reasons, the first Typhoon was in 62, and the other bike it could have been had white paint on the front of the frame. When you stripped it down you would have seen the white paint. Tornado was all red, no white trim.

Yes it was all Red when stripped, chain guard the outline of a Typhoon so I just went with that. I looked up as much info as I could find on it. Looked at pictures of the Torando agree it could be one of those.

Back