1961 Schwinn Twin Straight Bar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know who would approve!
tumblr_m6t91vB9Qk1rs5ahvo1_500.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like those frames, you did a fantastic job.:thumbsup:

If the green was the original paint, then it wasn't a Skipper, as Skippers came in red or black with white details at the headtube. FWIW, the "Skipper" is the one I want the most, even if I'm more of a "Rude Boy" than a "Skipper."

I like your build; those are the coolest of Schwinn's postwar cruiser frames; yours looks mean.

The reason I brought up that it might possibly be a Skipper is, just before I started really working on this build I read somewhere cant remember while exactly. That the twinbars ran back to the dropuuts differently than Typhoon/Tornado. Thanks for all the positive comments I really think this is my best build by far.

The earlier Tornados and Skippers both had the frame where the twin bars weren't continuous into the seatstays. The second version of the frame had the two bars running the whole length, which is what the new Typhoon had in 62 only, then was a cantilever frame. Here's my friend's 61 Skipper, it has the later version frame:
skipper - Copy.jpg

How did he cut it? I'm working on a 66 with a junk rear fender. After seeing yours I might cut mine :)

I think the best tool for that job would be a Dremel or other knock-off rotary grinder. Lay out your scribe lines, cut a little proud of the lines, then grind/file back to a nice finished edge.

We traced out a rough design on the fender giving extra room if needed. Started with a pair of metal shears, then switched to a angle grinder with a cut off wheel, much easier. finished with a combination of files and a belt sander to get a even finished edge. As I have said son did most if not all of the work on fender just take your time give yourself a little extra room if needed. If you have a old fender that will not be used you could always practice on that. Which is what I was going to do until he took over the job.

Back