1971 Schwinn Varsity - *The Varsity Valencia*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blink said:
ok, this looks awesome!

but, the one thing i would do to it is put a lower profile seat on it.

yeah, the seat is the only thing that might change. I got a great deal on it at my bike shop today, so i went with it. It is very comfortable though.

A nice black brooks would be cool.

I couldn't use the original seat. It was all bent out of shape

I've had a couple people ask me about the bars, so I dug into the trash and got the tag out.

The tag says - Pyramid Downhill Bars with Cross Brace

I did a few searches, but I couldn't find anything. The tag also says Distributed by J&B Importers, so if you can find a bike shop with an account they might be able to help...

Thanks!

The simplicity of your Violet Varsity build last year inspired me. I've been on the hunt for a frame all year. I almost used bars very similar to yours along with the dropped stem, but I thought these blacked out bars looked good with blacked out rims against the bright orange. I still love the tires you used on yours. I might have to swap out for a set of those...

100_6538.jpg

Helluva job there, you brought out the shine of the stock paint, kudos!

Man...had to go and show me a pic of the Varsity didn't ya. :lol:

That's one of those....wish I didn't sell it bikes. :cry:

GTCOMA, I got a '71 orange Varsity too, got it about 34 years ago. I put mountain bike wheels on mine too, way back, with a 6-speed freewheel, shorty bars, mountain levers, calipers, I put it back the way it was, since. Mine has the original fenders also, will probably put them on someday, when I get it rideable, been sittin' at least 15 years. I like the black wheels, makes the orange pop!

One day I'd like to have a set of cars, Adidas tracksuits and bikes in the "Crayola" assortment of late 60's / early 70's colors. I think I might have to become the world's fruitiest looking supervillan to pull that off though. :lol: Getting started....
2009_2_16_Rhoades066.jpg

I just put this 73 Continental on CL to try to make some room and cash, but thinking about yanking it. I love that orange Varisty, I may have to do one of these with the next real beater I run across.

Rat Rod said:
Man...had to go and show me a pic of the Varsity didn't ya. :lol:

That's one of those....wish I didn't sell it bikes. :cry:

Some salt for your wound?? :wink:

100_1232-1.jpg

That continental is in too good of shape to alter. That's why i was so excited to find one in such poor condition. Over the last year i came across a 74 Le Tour and a 79 Green Varsity, but they were in too good of shape, so i couldn't bring myself to mess them up. I ended up cleaning them up and selling them.

Kinda wish I would have kept them for a rainbow of fruit flavors!

2612839815_919e875d3a_o.jpg

2473240777_1b15c15f0d_b.jpg

3358487558_0ff79d025d_b.jpg

A few minor updates...

This is probably the most fun bike I have to ride. It is so simple, but I love how it looks

4303017182_402e780604.jpg

4302267777_f8fe3bd083.jpg

4303016042_a83e2c00ea.jpg

This bike looks awsome! I've been on the look out for a Varsity frame since I saw this post. The purple one is cool too. My question is what brand and size tires did you both use. I love the look of both bikes.

Back