2 of our bikes stolen

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lucky that the flo was in the garage.
Ken, I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Family comes first and when we are overwhelmed with the thoughts of their safety, the security of material things like bikes is an after thought. We have fences for numerous reasons buy, primarily for privacy and security.
I was given a set of security lights for the workshop on fathers day and quickly installed them. I am sure that my 2 buildings are padlocked now.
Sad.....when we can't feel secure in our own backyard. Especially when we live in a safe neighborhood.

I too was a rough kid with no respect for others and their belongings. Now K do what I can to help those that need it if I can. The wife and I were in a beach restaurant and there was a soldier sitting at the gable next to us. Not that he needed financial assistance but, I paid for his meal and bought him a best. He was taken aback and was resistant at first. But after explaining that our military men and women don't get the respect they deserve and that my wife and I were proud of his service, it was the least we could do.
He was very grateful.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Being a retired police, I'm here to tell you shooting someone right or wrong
is traumatic. They run around bleeding all over everything, and you have to clean
it up. Then in the world we live, you will make every news station in the US. Now
I don't like my stuff stolen , but I really don't want to be in the spotlight that much.
Even right deals ,at the least gets you a grand jury trip. Way less than fun. :shock:
You take my stuff, I have insurance. You have to try to hurt my family for the shooting
part to happen. :wink:

Absolutely correct.

Uncle Stretch said:
Being a retired police, I'm here to tell you shooting someone right or wrong
is traumatic. They run around bleeding all over everything, and you have to clean
it up. Then in the world we live, you will make every news station in the US. Now
I don't like my stuff stolen , but I really don't want to be in the spotlight that much.
Even right deals ,at the least gets you a grand jury trip. Way less than fun. :shock:
You take my stuff, I have insurance. You have to try to hurt my family for the shooting
part to happen. :wink:

As far as legality goes here in Indiana, Castle law states under Indiana code "IC 35-41-3-2"

With respect to property other than a dwelling, curtilage (outbuilding) , or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against any other person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect. However, a person:
(1) is justified in using deadly force; and
(2) does not have a duty to retreat;

Which basically means once a lock is breached and they are in possession of your stuff if you feel threatened it's your call if they live or die. Still a lot of paperwork and hassle but the law is there to protect you.

(Just plant a bb gun on the body and say it was dark) :wink:

I say if you got to scare the crap out of a thief and make sure they don't come back leave the gun in your holster and chase them down the street with an axe or chainsaw screaming hysterically! :mrgreen: Scrap bike parts make cool weapons too, I made two of these from old seat posts and a single sprocket cut in half then welded. Imagine a thief in the ER getting this removed from his noggin trying to explain it. And a chainsaw well back in the day they used to cut your hand off for stealing, why did they stop doing that? After the second offense I bet they give it up. :lol:

todaystrek003-1.jpg

Which in my shed the headline would probably read something like this:

"A man was killed today while trying to steal a bicycle from a run down shed he pulled on the wrong one and inadvertently caused his own demise. An avalanche of bicycles covered him in just seconds, emergency workers worked feverishly for 17 hours trying to free the trapped man but he bled out from multiple lacerations ranging from chain ring cuts to handlebar ends stabbing him. Work still continues to try to free the body" :lol: :mrgreen:

In Texas we have a law that says you can legally shoot some one stealing your property
at night ,if there is no expectation for you to get it back.
Sounds really cut and dry. I have seen a guy shoot a car thief through the windshield while
he was stealing his radio. Now right is one thing and having the press in your yard for days
is another. Having everybody you see ask you questions about the incident, is a pain.
Having your face plastered all over the TV and risking some nut, wanting to blow you away
is the result of your actions. He will know you....you won't know him. Like I say. Call the insurance
and have them give you money for your stuff. If they come in your house, then the choices are
limited. Take the shot.

Glad that the OP got the bikes back.

As for defending your property, it is just stuff and can be replaced.

Yeah if I was actually in that situation I'd probably fire a few shots into the dirt and scare them off. If they reached for something or come at me after that then it's gonna get messy.

Coming from someone who has had there house broken into, vandalized, and property stolen (including personal items with no monetary value), I am here to tell you if I catch someone in my house who is not supposed to be there or attempting to enter they will be shot on site. I don't care about the legal ramifications. It's not the items that can be replaced that make me feel this way. These thieves are taking your sense of security in the one place that you should be able to let your guard down. My break in was about 8 years ago and to this day a day doesn't pass where I don't think about it. I think about it when I'm coming home, I think about it when I'm leaving, when I'm on vacation, when I hear a noise, when someone walks by, etc.. They stole something that can not be replaced.

I feel the same way about my home, you come in my home uninvited and you'll be met with 8 rounds of .380 jacketed hallow points that can all fly faster than you can run. But my shed and all that I'll give a warning shot first, It's just stuff. But in my home that's MY space, MY family, and you just don't violate that.

Personally, if I lived in a state that permitted deadly force in the event of someone stealing my stuff, I would never pull the trigger unless I felt my life truly being threatened. If I walked in my garage and saw someone ripping off my bike and perhaps running away at the surprise of getting caught, I wouldn't blow him away. I couldn't do it. He's running away; he's not a threat.

I don't think hollow* points should be the appropriate conviction for someone wanting to steal something. If he has a weapon, however, that's a different story. But for someone who is weapons-free and bailing, he should not die. Most people who invade homes are kids who are obviously making a mistake. As some of you have mentioned, sometimes when you're young you do stupid things. As I learned in my college criminal justice class, 70% of people who get arrested never get arrested again in their lifetime. Certainly it would stink to kill a non-threatening young guy who may turn his life around in the future.

The smell and site of violent death is not pleasant, nor is the feeling of a guilty conscience.

Back