3rd Human Powered Vehicle Festival- September 2012 [Ayer MA]

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ifitsfreeitsforme said:
there's a great atmosphere of sharing at this festival

7972349814_59bc61b44a_b.jpg
+1

Tim, those are great pictures from your Picasa files, Two of my favorites..........

Graylock perfecting the " Mobius Chain " to later endure 19 miles without a break down. ZygoteLittle eases Graylock into a false sense of security. Neither of these two had a clue what the advantage the Mobius Chain had over a mortal chain. Some things should be left to wonder.
DSC_1728.jpg

...... and this Tim and Ryan doing the Wiley Oates pose, Onward Through The Fog !
DSC_1992.jpg

Graylock

What was amazing about that Rat was that you were able to ride her on the 19-mile ride with the chain twisted – simply incredible! It also helped to explain the down-shift issues you were having.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
next year we decided to leave the rat bikes at home, bring our road bikes, see the festival for a bit, then take off for Nashua, NH on the rail path, eat there, and return. Can't wait.

I agree that next year we should drop the 19-mile road ride in favor of riding the trail as far as we can go, but, with our Rat Bikes instead. This will allow all of our fellow Rat Rodders to ride their beloved Rats together. We can start at the same time as the road ride, then break-off and go our own way, this early start should get us to Nashua, while getting us back to the HPVF for the festivities by noonish.

What are your thoughts on this? You guys had some nice rides; it would be cool if we can do this as a group.

Nashua is like 20 miles from the HPVF I think. I can't see riding the rats farther than the end of the trail in Danvers (I think that's the town, 10-11 miles). This year we rode 6 miles out the trail before turning around. That was perfect. Arses were beginning to hurt.

We're (me and my buddies) definitely going to do the road bike thing next year after hanging out at the festival for a bit. None of us are up for riding a rat bike 40+ miles. That's just sheer torture.

Very well – I’ll just take my vintage 1970 Peugeot UO8 for the ride to Nashua!

Looking forward :)

I'll do that, take a trip up the rail trail, I mean isn't that part of the event? The rail trail. I don't know why you guy's complain about the aches and pain, my bike was comfy don't you think Amy ? We will call the ride "Nice And Flat For The Rats" 8)
I'll leave a mess of bikes back at the event for others to enjoy till we get back.

Graylock

Graylock, you inspired an idea, buddy!

Perhaps, the best thing to do for next year’s HPVF is to show-up with two bikes – one for the trail ride to Nashua (road bike) and another one for the HPVF festivities (rat bike).

Wow Jose, that collection of shots covered the whole event! Nice Job. :shock:

If you want to ride up the Nashua River Rail Trail and back, here's some info that might help. From the Ayer parking lot, it's 4 miles to Groton center, then 5 miles more to Pepperell center (where there's a good ice cream shop), then another 3 miles to the end of the rail trail at Gilson Road in Nashua where there's not much of anything. The trail ends there, but you can take roads another 3 miles to the lovely Mine Falls Park in Nashua, which has a paved trail that you can ride in a 4 mile loop (or less, if you take any cutoffs). Perfect place for a picnic.

For the ambitious among you who want to do all of that, the whole route up and back is about 35 miles, and it's mostly shaded. If you skip Mine Falls Park, from Ayer to the end of the rail trail and back is 24 miles, but I can't recommend the spot for a picnic. Those of you more focused on refreshments can go from Ayer to ice cream in Pepperell and back in 18 miles. Or for some seriously good eats, to Filho's Cucina in Groton center and back in 7.5 miles. Those of us with vehicles or physiques built more for show than performance can get from the Ayer end of the rail trail to good pizza at The Cottage in Ayer center in 0.2 mile. Personally, this year I walked 90 feet to get a couple of Chuck's chili dogs at Fresh Ayer Sports, and was mightily pleased with them.

If you decide to bring a road bike for a longer ride, bring your rats, too! What would the festival be without them?

Tim

Some info to work with, thanks Tim. I already have my Dad's 5X8 trailer to carry all sorts of bikes including the infamous Shadow if need be. I'd be willing to leave other bikes for use at the event while I'm on the trail if someone were to watch them while I'm gone. This splinter group should arrive back at the event with time to enjoy the company of our Ayer friends. Just saying.....

As to you rat freaks and your road bikes...... oh please spare me from the ordinary. We are talking bike trail here you won't need a lot of gears. :idea: Here's a thought :roll: . All you guys and guyetts who are going next year have made some pretty awesome bikes in the past. I ride the bike trails on the Cape with just a single speed so why don't we take the time to make a light single speed just for the ride without spending a lot of money. They will be known as " The Flat Lander Cruiser ". They will have coaster brakes (no hand brakes) and geared for a good pace on the trail. They will have tires no bigger than 1.50 (26" or there about (no 20")). Painted to bring pleasure to the eye (or fear). Warning devices and necessary bling to make things comfy. Make these bikes stand out and boast how little you spend on it. Cards flapping on the spokes is optional for our grand entrance. We could vote on the best bike and the winner could win a nearly full can of PBR :shock: and bragging rights 8) . Sooo.. whadayah think?

Graylock :D

Being goal oriented, it would be cool to ride to Nashua on the trail; we can go at a relaxed pace (~15mph) and get there and back within a reasonable amount of time.

A sensibly geared, 26”single-speed can maintain this pace; it’s just that I prefer a geared bike.

I also agree on your point, that we should still, and will, bring our Rat Bikes to this annual event.

IMHO – this event is premised on our having our Rats available for the attendees to ride around and have fun riding them.

I'm with you Greylock ,build it ride it cheaper then the rest but make it stand out . Show em something they
haven't seen or forgot about .I went 8 miles and back, on that Swing bike chasing you guys.
Screw it,Let's Ride...........Stevil

jackdaw said:
Diamond frame or....?
Both!!! It isn’t a zero-sum issue.

I’ll be taking a totally restored, diamond framed 1970 Peugeot UO-8 (10-speed for the trail ride) and a customized, cantilevered framed 2007 Schwinn BFK Stingray (7-speed for the event ride)! :mrgreen:

Back