50's Columbia cycle truck?!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I'm all done with the muscle bike. If it will stop snowing for 3 seconds I'll get my pictures taken :lol:

So Terry, that double wheel is just what I need for my build, any tutorial around on how to do it?

Gdcast said:
So Terry, that double wheel is just what I need for my build, any tutorial around on how to do it?

I'll definitely post up the basic assembly when I pull the tire to paint the rim. Basically all I did was vice grip 2 steel rims together and weld a bead between the 2. It was a bit of a pain and this was the second attempt. It's REALLY important to make sure your rims are straight before you start welding! :lol: :lol: I wound up with a crazy looking shape on the first try.

I love the bolt on accessory idea. I've been thinking a lot about doing that on one of my earlier builds. But instead of fishing rods and such I was thinking more along the lines of frisbee and skateboard mounts. Looks like she's going to be a real beauty when she's done.

Here's a picture of the stitched rims. Sorry about the terrible focus. :lol: Hopefully I'll have the bondo on the frame completed and paint by tomorrow.

IMG_3897.jpg

I did also manage to score this sweet enormous Mack truck light off ebay as well! Now to figure out if I want to mount it to the basket or the bars!

IMG_3894.jpg

Thanks for the pics, I just realized all my rims are aluminum!
I´m gonna have to find some I can weld...

Gdcast said:

Good call there Terry! That thread of 1HP's is well done and explains the process well! 8)

If you need a wider hub I made a "how to" on doing that either with or without welding: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68533&p=661483#p661483
That "how to" also explains how I do my fat motorcycle style wheels. :mrgreen:

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Gdcast said:

Good call there Terry! That thread of 1HP's is well done and explains the process well! 8)

If you need a wider hub I made a "how to" on doing that either with or without welding: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68533&p=661483#p661483
That "how to" also explains how I do my fat motorcycle style wheels. :mrgreen:

Luke.

SWEEEEET! Thanks for the tutorial Luke! I was going to pm you about that. I'm planning on getting a little crazy for the anything goes build off and that EXACTLY what I need!

bigfatcat said:
SWEEEEET! Thanks for the tutorial Luke! I was going to pm you about that. I'm planning on getting a little crazy for the anything goes build off and that EXACTLY what I need!
Cool! Glad I can be of help, let me know if I can help any other way.
I'm looking forward to watching your build in the big build off! :mrgreen:
By the way, there is no reason you could not run a full gear cluster/derailler system on those rims and hubs, just wont work if you are going dual drive... :wink:

Luke.

Got the basic rack frame welded up. I'm debating on an enclosed basket or just a platform with tie down mounts. So far my 200 lbs butt sat on it with not so much as a fuss. With the base board in place it should give it a ton more strength.

Ignore the welds. I'm still learning. :shock: :lol: :lol:
5E1FED80-B643-4B0F-8889-FFB26E2E9589-744-000000FE0E502DCD.jpg

DB74EF99-3614-4728-9B1A-2717311ECD01-744-000000FDFA0B7501.jpg

19005C60-80D4-4250-96F3-63F8F1B1B163-744-000000FE07D5183B.jpg

I'm also planning for a hard mount trailer hitch that can be swapped for a front fork if I want to trailer a bike.

That is a massive front rack! Have you thought about shortening it a little? Might help out with proportions... then again, it would probably fit a nice drinks cooler as it is, perfect for those extended rides! :wink:
Love the trailer hitch, fork mount idea... Looking forward to seeing it! :D

Luke.

Yeah I´m with Luke on this one, a shorter rack will make it easier for you to keep the bike on a straight line and to turn as well.
And I think those welds look pretty good, at least they´re better than mine.

One question on the double rim, did you use the same spokes or are they shorter ones?
Keep up the great job you´re doing here!!

Gdcast said:
Yeah I´m with Luke on this one, a shorter rack will make it easier for you to keep the bike on a straight line and to turn as well.
And I think those welds look pretty good, at least they´re better than mine.

One question on the double rim, did you use the same spokes or are they shorter ones?
Keep up the great job you´re doing here!!
I'm going to try it with the base board at this length and see if I like it. It's easy enough to chop it off.

I used the same spokes. I am however going to lace them to the center set now. There isn't enough pitch on the outside set and it makes for an easily twisted rim. :roll:

Quick update! I got the bike pretty much rideable and welded a kickstand from an occ to the bb. It rides pretty dang nicely. Now to focus on finishing the platform, paint detail, and the other front end accessories. The extra long platform doesn't hinder the tight space handling much at all by the way!

0F565813-84B0-479D-8C88-6ADBA4309C33-1953-00000366845D3654.jpg

D39B601F-E6B7-4399-90C9-74847E03AF27-1953-00000366888CA77F.jpg

15A8FA77-9267-4924-94D6-2899CF3C3117-1953-000003668C3585DE.jpg

Back