50's Columbia cycle truck?!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been watching this on Instagram, but I never realized until reading this post that the basket on a cycle truck is attached to the frame instead of the fork/bars, making it static. That makes a lot of sense so that you won't have all the weight pulling on your steering. I learn something new EVERY day, it's only 9:30am... I guess I can just nap the rest of the day now.

yoothgeye said:
Been watching this on Instagram, but I never realized until reading this post that the basket on a cycle truck is attached to the frame instead of the fork/bars, making it static. That makes a lot of sense so that you won't have all the weight pulling on your steering. I learn something new EVERY day, it's only 9:30am... I guess I can just nap the rest of the day now.

Haha! I better get to learning so I can head home early! The static basket makes everything so easy to rid with. For testing purposes I put about 70 lbs. of free weights on it. Besides the small hill climb, you'd never know it was on there. It's the perfect whatever hauler! Plus when I get the trailer hitch finished I can ditch the car altogether for short distances and most loads.

Zumo said:
I think I am going to attempt this my self. Great work here. Where did you find a stem for this? Or did you make one?

Thanks! The stem is an old WIN unit I've had for a while. I got it in a lot on fleabay. Not really sure how old it is.

Zumo said:
Another question:
What type of tubing did you use for the center tube that you cut off? Something from another bike?

It's a mountain bike top tube. I have a pile of bike "chunks" to choose from.

Zumo said:
Ha ha, as do I. :D

I thought you might say that. I am going to try and start mine today.

Awesome! Make sure you tack and check your headtube a bunch of times. The added length makes every little off angle a bunch bigger. I had to cut mine off twice because it was off center. :roll: Good luck!

Zumo said:
How long did you make your head tube? Did it depend on the stem you had? I started mine and right now am using a 12" head tube.

Mine's a little over 12". I was more concerned about the center bar being straight when the wheels are on the ground. I tacked everything a couple times and raked it out slightly. I made the fork extension after all the leveling was done.

Ha! Mine too, it's like 12 and a quarter inches long. I am also going to try and find some tubing for the center bar that is longer then the one I got off the Mountain bike frame. I want a little more rake.

Here's a picture of the stitched rims. Sorry about the terrible focus. :lol: Hopefully I'll have the bondo on the frame completed and paint by tomorrow.

IMG_3897.jpg

I did also manage to score this sweet enormous Mack truck light off ebay as well! Now to figure out if I want to mount it to the basket or the bars!

IMG_3894.jpg
I know this is a older post but do you or anyone know a how to link on making the double wheels like you have made I would just like to see how before I jump into making one maybe tips or warnings or anything I should lookout for before attempting

I made 2 pairs, air valves holes must be opposite to each other, like one up and the other one down. If you're gonna arc weld them, like I did, take your time cause if the rims get too hot they will probably want to bend. Don't let them!!;)
If they're aluminium rims, get a mig
Build on :rockout:

I made 2 pairs, air valves holes must be opposite to each other, like one up and the other one down. If you're gonna arc weld them, like I did, take your time cause if the rims get too hot they will probably want to bend. Don't let them!!;)
If they're aluminium rims, get a mig
Build on :rockout:
Thanks for replying yeah I'm going to weld them and it's going to be regular metal rims was it any harder to true than any other rim I guess that all depends on if you get it to hot and warp them I will have to be careful. Will a 2.125 tire fit?

No, had no problem trueing them, as for the tire size you'll have to try, I have no idea if they will fit...

Back