59 Western Flyer Super Deluxe Tank Model (AKA 3-on-the-tree)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Priorities man, priorities! :banghead:
Just kidding, hope it goes well for you. :grin:

Luke.
Lol yea working on my girls project car (79 trans am) is priority on days I have off work, good health, & good weather.
It would have been driveable by now if I wasn't having to rip it to pieces to fix the redneck (its ok to say because the guys that had it call themselves it and Like to be called redneck) work that was done by the previous owner & his friends.

79 Trans-Am? Cool car for your girl!
Got any pics?

Luke.
Found I still have some from the day we went to pick it up. If all goes well I'll get new pics within the week.

The body is in very good condition.
The po blew up the original motor and him & his friends did a hack job installing a different motor & transmission to the point they didn't bother to get it running.

I was wanting to buy it myself but wasn't practical as an only vehicle so I built myself a truck (92 S10)

Both! I love a cool truck too! In fact I would take the truck for myself...

Luke.
Thanks.
I could go on forever about my truck but I'm going to restrain myself & say that when I get the rest of my parts collected I have a V8 to put in it.
if you like I could shoot you some info on it tho.

Feels like I'm slacking but life has been keeping me from making progress; what can you do.

On a fun side note I had a bike guy from out of state checking out this build and the 3-on-the-tree shifter totally blew his mind. He went crazy over it and wants to try building something with a stem mount 3 speed stick shift now himself.

Well finally squeezed in a little time to work on this bike.
Finished bending cutting & drilling the 1 piece truss rod. The bends didn't come out as nice as I'd like but it should be good enough for now.
Also found I have a pair of short duck tail fenders so I test fitted them and am trying to decide if I like the look.
Also mounted a 26x2.125 tire on the rear to get more an idea what will fit.
b8533935f043b9bacbb88dda68d7aa87.jpg

a38cdeff86f2a2715a68bea69b4b5834.jpg

2a923465fa05577159332cdf9a620d2a.jpg

4bdacf895d282551dda3e9c9088a7cb7.jpg

687d28ab383601afbe8f98129a0c0e96.jpg

6dbb8033a10fcca23044f7c6536755c8.jpg

Last edited:
I assume they or the frame are not staying that color? In that case yes! :thumbsup: They look good. A bit of a color clash at the moment though...

Luke.
Remember this bike is going copper.

Just not sure how to paint the fenders right now as I wasn't happy with my Photoshop with the fenders the same color as the frame.
Had a thought of using the oil rubbed bronze as the base color and copper as the pinstripes but I'll need to try to Photoshop it to see.
Any ideas would be cool.

Some very quick Photoshop work to get a better idea on the fenders.
Here's the 4 I did up.

All copper
68063dfe8b18f4a32608d0eab930b865.jpg

Copper with bronze pinstripes
e930e40b33933d4cb33df0d09c344270.jpg

All Bronze
48842ae207876ea63f9373f6e4a0366b.jpg

Bronze with copper pinstripes
dab627daf84d3b30ffd5fbf81d93d82e.jpg

Input please.
After doing these I'm thinking a pinstripe version will look best but not completely sure.
Either way unless I find some similar chrome fenders I'll probably stick to these.

Also not sure exactly how I'd lay down the pinstripes but probably relatively traditional.

Last edited:
Hmmmmm, I'm kinda liking the last one....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Dr. T

Any more input?

And the bike is now almost fully ripped apart.
Just need to remove the bearing cups and I can move on to stripping the paint.

Last edited:
Back