59 Western Flyer Super Deluxe Tank Model (AKA 3-on-the-tree)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the shifter doesn't hold up on the stem, here's an idea I used when I used a twist grip shifter. I ran the cable thru the tank, after drilling a hole just big enough to put the cable thru.
w8wawn.jpg

Thanks I thought about doing that but I think I've got this figured out.
Right now I'm trying to come up with an extension for the little thumb lever. Bent a piece of light aluminum tube to get an idea and I think it will work out but need something stronger as I kinked the snot out of the aluminum but it let me know I'm on the right path.

The hole I made in the top of my tank is bigger than I'd like but I had to keep elongating it until the cable could travel smoothly.

Last edited:
Umm...
3de1178b2350ee1419a738d8c5504018.jpg

aec55457dad92a90b600d4456baf53f1.jpg

Pulled the crank out today and aside from a very thin coat of newer looking grease everything was clean; a quick wipe down with a rag and the above pics is what I got.
Upon flipping the bike back over an extra bearing ball fell out of the frame.

Glad somebody had opened it up before but disturbed by the tiny amount of grease it had and 1 ball that was in the frame that doesn't go to the bearings.

Last edited:
Well I gave the chain ring a quick scrub and it came out nice.
Had some trouble getting pics because the light glare.
0b1fbf7453eef4206195cfe636923f6a.jpg

5f74667a61ba64658cb06d4d94fb7a20.jpg

2b624b25bdbc4c629f9b175c88dd4d02.jpg

These are of great help for initial chrome cleaning. Love the $1 box of SOS pad knockoffs.
They clean the dirt, grease & remove rust all at the same time and tend to leave the parts shiny

Last edited:
Been working on the truss rod and shifter arm.

Here is the shifter arm in all 3 positions
It just hit me I have a 3-on-the-tree lol.
d076ee6e1040fe36665ac22acf70f8b5.jpg

65b923454153368d26b4f11a92c92ac4.jpg

c8ef6e00d220cfe783e38700e8cff206.jpg

On the end is an old 8mm mauser super speed casing I polished up and slid on to cap the tube. It reads Super Speed 8mm.
Not sure if I want to keep it there in the end or put a ball on.
Also need to figure out exactly how I'm going to attach the arm; thinking I'll just crush the end onto the thumb lever as tight as I can then drill a hole threw and put a small bolt & nut.

Next is the truss rod.
09d028fb0c8b76b5721164d3e0bde984.jpg

I need to pull it back off again and flatten the ends a bit more then drill the mounting holes.
Still would like to find a original truss rod for this at some point but for now my home made one should be good.

On both the truss rod & shifter arm I'm not sure if I want to strip them down and polish them and finish with clear coat or just scuff them and paint them. If paint I may paint them with the accent color (oil rubbed bronze) that I'm using for the "decals".

Last edited:
Three on the tree? Very cool!

Luke.
Noun

3-on-the-tree

Alternative spelling of three-on-the-tree.(idiomatic) On an automobile (especially those produced from 1939 through the mid-1970s), a three-speed manual transmission whose gearshift lever is mounted on the steering column.

Example: Mother and Father learned to drive in a car with a 3-on-the-tree.

Noun

3-on-the-tree

Alternative spelling of three-on-the-tree.(idiomatic) On an automobile (especially those produced from 1939 through the mid-1970s), a three-speed manual transmission whose gearshift lever is mounted on the steering column.

Example: Mother and Father learned to drive in a car with a 3-on-the-tree.
I had an old Toyota not long back with 4 on the tree, I loved it! Best bit about it was watching other people try to drive it! Specially with no syncros on first and rather worn on second! :rofl:

Luke.

I had an old Toyota not long back with 4 on the tree, I loved it! Best bit about it was watching other people try to drive it! Specially with no syncros on first and rather worn on second! :rofl:

Luke.
Manual transmission column shifters can be a pita to drive. First one I drove was a 53 Chevy woody wagon that had almost no floor left and didn't want to hit 2nd gear without a lot of finesse.

I think this is going to be a blast to ride when done.

Luke any thoughts on paint or polish the shifter / truss rod?

Luke any thoughts on paint or polish the shifter / truss rod?
Really not sure WFT, it might be best to wait till you have it all back assembled and see what the bike tells you then...

Luke.

Really not sure WFT, it might be best to wait till you have it all back assembled and see what the bike tells you then...

Luke.
Just trying to figure it out now because that truss rod is a pita to take off and on (fork needs ripped off and apart (2pieces below the bottom rase hold it).

If you can polish them up to look like chrome with the clear coat on, I say do it. The bronze will be cool on the decals but it may be too much of a good thing if used to paint the rods and shifter too...

Luke.

That's what I was wondering. I've got the first piece I tried as a shifter I'll see how it cleans up.

Thanks Luke

Last edited:
Was planning on working on the bike right now but just picked up a womens middleweight huffy built (think I'm seeing remnants what looks like maybe a j.c.Penny's head badge sticker) parts bike for a great price and need to strip it down; parts take less floor space than full bikes & I'm getting a bit low on floor space atm. I'll post a pic of it shortly.

I'll get back to 3-on-the-tree (thinking that's its new name) tomorrow hopefully.

Well no progress today :( forgot I had to pull a transmission out of a car.
Priorities man, priorities! :banghead:
Just kidding, hope it goes well for you. :grin:

Luke.

Back