Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off 01"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Anything goes "Muscle-Bike-Build-Off" Build thread.

Its been a couple of depressing weeks for me here, hoping for my luck to turn around soon.
At the present pace I will have a pile of random pieces laying on the floor for my final shot :D
Luke, good for you! good to see ya making such great progress.

Rich

Hey guys! Glad you like the frame, as regards me winning, well I am seeing what you guys are doing and I think it will be a hard battle for me to win against your builds!
RichL said:
Its been a couple of depressing weeks for me here, hoping for my luck to turn around soon.
At the present pace I will have a pile of random pieces laying on the floor for my final shot :D
Luke, good for you! good to see ya making such great progress.

Rich
Have you had more issues Rich? I thought you were just about ready to start up again? Really looking forward to your build...

Luke.

Didn't do much today, a bit worn out after last nights efforts, did design and get started on the rear wheel dropouts though.

DSC00239 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr
Probably a bit confusing at the moment, it will all be clear once they are made and fitted, hopefully tomorrow afternoon...

Luke.

I liking that wheel/tire combo Luke
The frame is really interesting, can't wait to see how it pans out
Great shot of you in your shop

LukeTheJoker said:
[really should build myself a jig, but I keep putting it off because it would have to change for each build I do while I am using these wild rims and tires... :mrgreen:

Luke.

This is something I have been thinking about over the last 2 months. It is one thing to build a jig that is going to build mostly standard bicycles, but with fat rear tires, 2,3 and 4 wheel designs it causes more challenges for what it is you can do with a standard jig. I think I have the basis of something that might be versatil enoug to handl 2 wheel designs anyway, not too sure how versatil it will be for other builds though... I just need the time to build all the pieces :D

Rich

RichL said:
This is something I have been thinking about over the last 2 months. It is one thing to build a jig that is going to build mostly standard bicycles, but with fat rear tires, 2,3 and 4 wheel designs it causes more challenges for what it is you can do with a standard jig. I think I have the basis of something that might be versatil enoug to handl 2 wheel designs anyway, not too sure how versatil it will be for other builds though... I just need the time to build all the pieces :D Rich
Well, you got my interest, will be interested to see it when/if you get it done! :mrgreen:

Luke.

what a frame!"!!!

what i would give for your setup :p

you mean as opposed to my small spot on a floor in a living room?

yes!!!! :p

also, what wheel are you using for the front?

i still cant get over how fly the frame looks

feeblington said:
you mean as opposed to my small spot on a floor in a living room?
yes!!!! :p
Ah! Well yes, welding inside the house is not recommended... :mrgreen:

feeblington said:
also, what wheel are you using for the front?
i still cant get over how fly the frame looks
Plans for the front wheel have not been finalised yet, I do know that it will be a 1.95x24 whitewall tire but the rim may change depending on if I go aero discs on the back, if I dont, I may end up building a 4 spoke wheel to match the rear, still trying to work out how in my head, as it will need reinforcing to keep it from bending between the spokes, got some ideas but they need refining yet...

I'm glad everyone is liking the frame, it is turning out rather nice but I am nowhere near as good a builder as some others on this site (Uncle Stetch, Dr Tank, Devon Science, Sensor etc...) The stuff these guys turn out is just awesome! :shock:

More to come!

Luke.

Tried out an idea for the front rim today, not sure how well it worked or even if I like it yet but thought I would share...

DSC00243 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

It is basically sections of one rim reshaped and welded inside the other, I welded slowly and moved around a lot to try and minimise warping and it seems pretty good but I will know more once I build a hub and give it a spin.
Used a piece of seat tube to allow access to the valve through the second rim.

DSC00246 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

The rim is pretty rough due to all the welding, if it does get used I think "hammered finish" paint might be in order... :wink:

Also got the rear dropouts made and fitted, pretty happy with them!

DSC00240 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

So this is the frame as it sits with 3 weeks and 6 days to go.

DSC00241 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Looking forward to updates from you guys, really looking forward to seeing your plans come together! 8)

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Tried out an idea for the front rim today, not sure how well it worked or even if I like it yet but thought I would share...

DSC00243 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

It is basically sections of one rim reshaped and welded inside the other, I welded slowly and moved around a lot to try and minimise warping and it seems pretty good but I will know more once I build a hub and give it a spin.
Used a piece of seat tube to allow access to the valve through the second rim.

DSC00246 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

The rim is pretty rough due to all the welding, if it does get used I think "hammered finish" paint might be in order... :wink:

Also got the rear dropouts made and fitted, pretty happy with them!

DSC00240 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

So this is the frame as it sits with 3 weeks and 6 days to go.

DSC00241 by LukeTheJoker, on Flickr

Looking forward to updates from you guys, really looking forward to seeing your plans come together! 8)

Luke.
Nice progress! 8)
I've unfortunately slightly lost interest in my bike :?
I'm not sure if it's due to I don't have a few parts I need or if it's the fact that I plan on taking it apart after the build off is over.

Lowlife Lucas said:
Nice progress! 8)
I'm not sure if it's due to I don't have a few parts I need or if it's the fact that I plan on taking it apart after the build off is over.
Well going to all the effort of building a bike just to take it apart afterwards would cause anybody to lose interest!
Is there a bike you are building or thinking of building that you would rather enter instead? Can always run something past Jake...

Luke.

I am waiting on a delivery of metal, Hopefully today, than things should start moving again for me.

Luke, what kind of tire goes on the homebuilt rim? I would like to see some more pics of your rim if possible, I have been trying to figure out how to make my own rims, the roller may be able to do certain types, I am curious what you have going?

[edit] sorry, I meant to also say, the drops outs are mega cool, very original!

Rich

Lowlife Lucas said:
Nice progress! 8)
I'm not sure if it's due to I don't have a few parts I need or if it's the fact that I plan on taking it apart after the build off is over.[/color]

Lucas, for me, I can understand your situation, my bike is likely to suffer the same fate. I enetered the contest just to see what it would be like... it's been a pretty heavy financial burden... but I will finish the build. Wish I had stayed quiet in the corner :)

If there is something else you have going you would be able to contribute, I'm ok with you doing that... Hope it all works out for you!

Rich

RichL said:
Luke, what kind of tire goes on the homebuilt rim? I would like to see some more pics of your rim if possible, I have been trying to figure out how to make my own rims, the roller may be able to do certain types, I am curious what you have going?
[edit] sorry, I meant to also say, the drops outs are mega cool, very original!

Rich
Hey Rich!
The outer rim of the wheel I just built is a normal 24x1.5 steel rim, I just used a second rim for the reinforcing as it wont be as well supported by the spokes seeing as there is only 4, normally the 36 spokes would hold the rim in tension and give it the support needed.
Sorry if I made it look like I was building my own rims, that would be very cool, but way beyond the abilities of my tooling...

Glad you like the drop outs.

If anyone would rather drop out it is cool by me, it would be a shame, but I would rather people enjoy the build than feel they are forced to finish, I'm sure everyone else would agree.

Luke.

Edit: We may have a new entrant, BigFatCat "Terry" expressed interest on the other thread... :D

Back