Bareknuckle Brawler - Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - New springer parts!

Once the springer is functional will you limit the travel so the tire won't bottom out or will you lower the wheel to accomodate the travel? Looks like your clearance from tire to fork is very tight.

This bike is looking super tough. I would have a hard time taking the fork off that frame.

Thanks for the kind words Gentlemen.

No major work will be getting done on this for the next week or so, as I will be flat out with our musical production next week, as well as finishing off two bikes with my son for the car show which is on the following week-end :shock: .

I'll only be doing a bit of fiddly stuff on the Bareknuckle Brawler, like nutting out, measuring and maybe fabricating some small parts for the springer (brackets, pivots and rockers etc).

I agree with all, this a clean and mean bike. The tank is icing on the cake.

Your bike would be a good candidate for a motor. 8)
Before:
DSCF1524-1.jpg

After:
JAP-Copperknob_jpg.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Ready to attack!!

Nothing new, but ready to attack this build full throttle. I have two weeks off work and only a couple of small non bike things planned :D .

hey nice work so far, one question, you said those are fatti-o tires, are they 24"? i was googling those tires and all that came up was "electra & 24". i like how fatti they are, keep up the great work!

Kustom_G said:
hey nice work so far, one question, you said those are fatti-o tires, are they 24"? i was googling those tires and all that came up was "electra & 24". i like how fatti they are, keep up the great work!

Thanks. Yes they are 24 x 3.

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Small update

ChrisMac said:
With bikes like this, I feel SOOO outta my league.

Thanks for the kind words, Chris. I feel the same way when I look at some of the other bikes in this build-off as well. I can't get any cool or rare/vintage frames and parts, so I'm trying to keep up by fabricating stuff.

I had a productive couple of hours this morning and made some rocker tabs/pivots and welded them to the tube I'll be using for the main fork legs. Still have a bit of cleaning up to do, as the coating/plating on the tube didn't allow me to get a nice clean weld. I gave them a quick run over with a flapper disc, but will tidy them up a bit more.

DSCF1548-1.jpg

DSCF1547-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - RIP Springer

I worked on the springer for about 10 hours over the last 2 days - measuring,making rockers trial fitting/mock-ups and I'm just not happy with the ride height and wheelbase.

Every time I put the original fork legs back on it, it just looks right........so to get the look I'm after for this bike, I'm giving up on the springer idea. I dunno, maybe towards the end of the build-off when all the other jobs are done, I might have another look at the front end :? .

Also with only a month left, I still have a lot of other stuff to do do it. I've got some other ideas to fill the space between the bars....just gotta try a few things.

Here's a preview of the plate I've been working on

BRAWLERPlate2-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - RIP Springer

I'm diggin this build so far! Mean lookin & good flow as well! 8)

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Strip Tease!!

Today I welded on the coaster brake arm tab, made and welded on the number plate bracket, and welded in the seat post. I was still feeling pretty keen, so stripped the frame and gave it a quick sand. Still lots more sanding and polishing to do, and I'm not sure if I'm gonna leave the fork legs chrome or paint them black.......I've got another set that will fit, so I'll probably paint them black and compare both.

Threw the parts on for a quick mock-up.......I'm starting to feel real happy with this build :D

DSCF1553-1.jpg

DSCF1556-1.jpg

DSCF1558-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Update July 3

Perhaps I was a little hasty in canning the springer idea :oops: .......I did some more measuring and looked at the bike on and off for a couple of hours........did some more measuring, did some more looking...... :roll: :roll: .

I really want to keep the ride height nice and low without moving the front wheel to much further forward, and I'm pretty sure I've got it worked out. Instead of mounting the rocker pivot out a bit from the main fork leg, I'll make the pivot directly under (in line with) the main fork leg. This will allow the moving leg of the fork to stay pretty close to the main legs.....I think I've got the geometry sorted out.

I turned up a couple of slugs that fit in the tube, so I can weld the rocker pivots on the end of the tubes. Also played around with fitting a speedometer.

DSCF1564-1.jpg

DSCF1565-1.jpg

DSCF1566-1.jpg

I really like what you have done with your build. It has an old school motorbike look to it, love the placement of the speedo!

You've GOT to keep the speedo, totally fits the bike!

Back