Bareknuckle Brawler - Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - "Afterburner" video - July 14

Critter1 said:
I LOVE your springer fab!!! You say these came from the junkyard... Motorcycle? MTB?
DSCF1622-1.jpg

Thanks Critter. The shocks come off the rear of low end MTB's. The front end on my bike is pretty much solid with the two of them.....after all there is usually one of them on the rear of a MTB, and I have two of them on a front end. The springs are 850lb, but I'm getting a couple of new shocks through my LBS with 450lb springs, so I'm hoping they'll give me a bit of movement.

kingfish254 said:
Very cool flash effect on that light. I can almost here the sputtering of a jet trying to FLAME ON.

Thanks kingfish, I never really paid much attention to the flash mode of the light until I had it fitted into the Caddy light. I'll get a better video of it from the rear and post it in the finished section when it's done.

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Pampered and Polished - July 18

I spent about 5 hours on Saturday and Sunday sanding the frame....started with 280, then went to 600, and finished up with 800, then 4 good coats of clear.

I probably could have spent another 4 - 5 hours sanding to get a better finish, but decided the marks still on the frame "added to the character". Besides, ny fingers were sore and I wanted to clear coat it on the week-end to give it few days to harden up before I start too much re-assembly.

DSCF1644-1.jpg

Hey bean, with the copper tank, the frame is PERFECT (I thought i liked the green :roll: ). A lot of work, but well worth it.

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Light Workout 2 - July 11

What did you cut the light with? I have the same lights I was going to cut down for my headlight, but never quite figured out how I was going to get a straight cut without making a mess.

bean said:
I've been trying to work out a tail light for this bike for a while and couldn't really come up with anything I was happy with. I pulled the kustom Caddy light off last years bike "Krusty Kargo" and tried it..........still didn't look quite right mounted on the rear axle and made the left side of the bike look too "busy" with the light, license plate and coaster arm mount all in the same vicinity.

I modified the light a bit more by cutting the lens down shorter and bending more angle into the bezel, then tried it in a few different spots on the frame. It looks best where the license plate mount is, so it's gonna go there and I'll ditch the plate.

I also never got around to making it work for last year's build (ran out of time), so found a rear bike light that fit inside everything, then cut and filed the lens to fit.

I didn't want to use something that I'd used in a previous RRBBO, but I think this will suit this bike and I'm running out of time to try and find something else.

dude those time and temp gauges that they have for motorcycle handle bars would look good onthe tops of the fork tubes look on the gallery thred 883 basman middle of the 2nd page!

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Light Workout 2 - July 11

oxyjansen said:
What did you cut the light with? I have the same lights I was going to cut down for my headlight, but never quite figured out how I was going to get a straight cut without making a mess.

I used a table saw at work the first time I cut it, and held it in a mitre box and used a hacksaw the second time.

KC so-cal said:
dude those time and temp gauges that they have for motorcycle handle bars would look good onthe tops of the fork tubes look on the gallery thred 883 basman middle of the 2nd page!

Great idea, but I've run out of time to do it for the deadline. I've got a couple of ideas for the fork tubes though.

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Speedo - July 19

I bought some adhesive printer paper today and made a little decal for the speedo. Also reset and locked the odometer. Anyone guess what band I like? :D :D :D

DSCF1658-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Krazy Speedo - July 19

VanHalen, VanHaggar, it's all good..... :mrgreen:

Really like this bike, really like that springer, can't wait to see the finished product!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Krazy Speedo - July 19

Doc ya beat me to the punch. Saw them in concert when 0u812 came out. Cabo wabo baby!! Nice bike...get ta buildin'!! Peace

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Assembly and Detailing - July 23

Starting to do final assembly and work out some finishing details. Hoping to get it all together this week-end and photograph it through the week.........cutting it fine!! :D

Hidden speedo cable
DSCF1660-1.jpg

Front end done.......just have to tighten everything up
DSCF1664-1.jpg

TruVativ BB adapter, sealed BB and cranks fitted
DSCF1663-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Assembly and Detailing - July 23

Bean, you're gonna need a WEEK to photograph all the details. :lol: NICE!

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Rider!!! - July 24

I stripped the paint off the stems this morning and gave them a clean up with steel wool and WD40. Put a chain on it, although I'll have to get another couple of links for it........I want to run 36/18 gearing, but had to put a 16 tooth rear cog to get the chain to fit for today.

I took it for a ride "around the block", and came home 40 minutes later......I just kept going :D . It tracks perfectly and the front end is nice and tight. The bars are wide enough to clear my knees, so even though the seat is low, it's pretty comfortable for me to ride.....I'm 5'6".

I still have to mount the tank and headlight, make some fork tube top plugs and tidy up a few things, but I'm really happy with the way it's shaping up.

DSCF1669-1.jpg

DSCF1670-1.jpg

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Rider!! - July 24

Wow...bare knuckle indeed...tuff looking ride!!! Two questions if I may....the rear tire cleared with no modifications to the frame? and would there be any way you could give a "how to" for leaning back the head tube as you did on your sons bike.
Thanks.

Re: Bareknuckle Brawler - Rider!! - July 24

Thanks for all the kind words guys, it means a lot :D

"Tough" is the look I wanted this build to have from the start, and I think I'm gonna pull it off.

BKIN10SECS said:
Wow...bare knuckle indeed...tuff looking ride!!! Two questions if I may....the rear tire cleared with no modifications to the frame? and would there be any way you could give a "how to" for leaning back the head tube as you did on your sons bike.
Thanks.

I had to use vise-grips and slightly flatten the seat stays, but there was plenty of room between the chain stays.

On my son's bike, I cut off the headtube with a hacksaw, then cut about an inch or so off the top tube, filed the top and downtubes to fit the the headtube then welded it back on. I didn't use a jig, just tacked it to the downtube and "eyeballed" it, moved it around a little, then tacked it to the top tube, and oxy welded it all up. I didn't take any pics, as it was all done really quickly. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back