Bikes At Wichita Starbird Show (Photos & Video Added)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Bikes At Wichita Starbird Show

Ratfink1962 said:
^^^Cool

Did you add sand in the tubes for weight?
Thanks. Sand is the ballast. Any ideas on what will remove the printing on PVC tubes? Would like to clean it off without sanding or painting the verticals.

How about if we just round up all the Colson Tandems & use them for a border around all the rest of the bikes! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

I think I'm in for 2, 3, or maybe even 4 bikes (Bad Apple for sure, 50's Higgins rat, 60's galaxie flyer rat possibly & undecided on #4 yet) @ least 2 for sure. I may be with 450redrider about the stanchions though. May or may not have time. If not I will just take my chances! Lookin forward to seein you guys there! 8)

ndaway said:
Built stanchions today :D I'm in for 2 and I think my new one will be all done by then so then 3..Pick your Higgins rat and bad apple are AWESOME

Thanks Buddy! Show us pics of your stanchions! Lookin forward to seeing you there!

aka_locojoe said:
I e-mailed Devlin asking how important having stanchions was but I haven't heard back.

Yes... Having to have these will keep me out this year... Just not enough time in the day at the moment to make them..... But, If we do not have to have them I am game for several bikes....

garagegoon said:
aka_locojoe said:
I e-mailed Devlin asking how important having stanchions was but I haven't heard back.

Yes... Having to have these will keep me out this year... Just not enough time in the day at the moment to make them..... But, If we do not have to have them I am game for several bikes....

Dave: You don't have to have them, but they are not responsible for any damage to any cars or bikes. They are not responsible if they are roped off either though! I'm gonna put a few in myself, but don't know if I will have time to build any stanchions, so they will either be roped off, or I will take my chances. Hope to see you there!

Later today im gonna get mine built.

Ive got enough material to build 4 stands, and I plan on using some of that garage door opener chain (long) and possibly attaching more chain to that to make it even longer.

With that being said... Dave (and anyone else) you are welcome to setup next to my junk and we will just stretch the thing out as far as we can. it would end up being more of a straight line on the spectator side, and maybe we can use a wall one one end to close it off.

Crap... that sucks!

but you do know that you dont have to babysit your bikes, If you can get em there on Thursday, and then pick em back up on Sunday... you are good to go.

or..... if you dont wanna pick em up on Sunday, thats ok too :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: we will take care of them :p

garagegoon said:
aka_locojoe said:

IT IS TOTALLY UP TO THE INDIVIDUAL. ALL I AM SAYING IS THAT TO NOT EXPECT THE SHOW TO PUT UP ANY BARRIERS AROUND THE BIKES AS IT IS THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE BIKE OWNERS. THIS IS NO DIFFERENT THAN HOW WE HANDLE THE CAR OWNERS. IF THEY DON'T WANT TO PUT UP STANCHIONS OR BARRIERS, IT IS THEIR CHOICE BUT KNOW THE SHOW IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE.

pick said:
ndaway said:
Built stanchions today :D I'm in for 2 and I think my new one will be all done by then so then 3..Pick your Higgins rat and bad apple are AWESOME

Thanks Buddy! Show us pics of your stanchions! Lookin forward to seeing you there!
001-3.jpg
looks like mazdaflyer and i were sharing a brain 8) I will clean off the lettering. pvc is how my dad always did them years ago :mrgreen:

Very Nice! I'm sure anything I come up with won't be near as nice.

ndaway said:
I thought about building some out of some old bike wheels then i remembered that no one notices the stanctions :D
I'm building mine out of some plant stands and some 3 1/2" pipe. I'll have less than $20 in them and that includes 30 feet of chain.
I'm going to enter 2 bikes. Back in Black and Muffy 8)

Well that's bittersweet Cameron.

Dave I hope you're in. Also Dangratsdan.

Stanchions look good guys.

I really need to get my act together. I don't have a single bike that doesn't need something fixed on it before I'd consider putting it under the bright lights at a show. Just don't have the time right now (well I guess I could have been doing that yesterday instead of riding). Mine have taken such a beating over the years hauling them around and storing. I need to focus on just one or 2 bikes and keep them ready for events like this. Maybe that'll be my bike new year's resolution.

Possibly those of us not in the show can meet up for a ride to the show.

I was kinda hoping just to hang out for the day but it looks like I'll have the Grand-kids.

Funny... I just did a search for the shows website to check prices using "Starbird Devlin". First page Google listed is the Coasters!

Woohoo kids 11 and under get in free.

Five foot 1 1/4 inch pvc is two dollars at lowes and the end caps are .70 cents.don't rember how much for the tees but there is less than 8 dollars in each. I did not glue them so they come apart for hauling I have not done my entry form yet I'm waiting till next weekend to see if I can get my new one built

Ratfink1962 said:
I bet lacquer thinner would do it, or maybe even nail polish remover since its a solvent.
Tried lacquer thinner to remove the printing, slowly works to an extent, but leave a ghost.

Back