*** Blue Arrow & Minnehaha >>>>>>>>>>DONE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bike and sidecar look perfect together!
Awesome work on the graphics too!
Keep it coming Miss Funk!

Love the hand painted lettering! Great job! It might be a lot of work but have you thought of cutting the whole bottom up a few inches to give the sidecar a flat bottom?

Love the hand painted lettering! Great job! It might be a lot of work but have you thought of cutting the whole bottom up a few inches to give the sidecar a flat bottom?
That was in my mind...:thumbsup:
And then replacing it with wood?
Went to weigh it the other day,but the scales are broken...
Doesn't seem that heavy now,besides when you think about it,it would be rolling.
1 metal sidecar + 1 kid = 1 adult...

G- Mornin Ratters,it's Sunday and a day to build a sidecar...

First hiccup this morning was the grips are to small for the french handlebars...:39: go figure.:crazy:
I was thinking to widen them anyway,now I don't have a choice.:dontmentionit:

So I have seen sidecars attached on solid,and sidecars that are attached by pivoting. I wonder what is the best?
Leaner or a rigid?:39:
I was thinking to use gate hinges.That way the bike can lean left and right.
Does this affect the riding or is it better to have a rigid attachment?
Will post pics and ideas shortly...
Need another caffine fix:43:

Last edited:
sidecarLoujuly06A.jpg

Rigid

Carl.

You may want to use a ball joint just in case the pivoting isn't completely aligned.
I've also seen people use these in conjunction with male/female air hose connections to make bike trailers easily detachable.
ball2.jpg

Last edited:
Progress and pain...:cry:
Dropped the rim on my big toe right where the nail joins.:arghh::arghh::arghh:
Of course I was wearing good ole Ozzie work boots ;)
LukeTheJoker knows what I am talkin about...
Nail is turning purple and constant throbbing + pain...I'm Clever!!!!:banghead:

Found these at the hardware store,thought I could use them to hold the tank and the sidecar onto the frame with...Of course they are to large but will change tomorrow...
CAM00644.jpg

Also scored this suede bag,can make 2 seats,and I thought to use the straps to cover the grips...
CAM00645.jpg

Found the strapping from off my old pajero,will use this on the sidecar.
CAM00647.jpg

This is a base to a old fridge/fish display unit from a Taverna...I sat and pondered and thought what I could do with it.
CAM00649.jpg

looked like this a few years ago.
upload_2014-7-6_22-3-51.jpeg

So I cut it up and took it home,was a perfect size for the base/chassis.
CAM00650.jpg

Chopped the wheels off,grinded it down...Wanted the sidecar to be lower,so need some metal/brackets...The ones on the left are from old stables and the 2 on the right,are for pergolas...I went with the pergola ones,as they were wider...
CAM00651.jpg

Drilled holes onto some old 26" MTB forks.And bolted the metal on.(idea reasons)These came off the frame of '67' my first build-off entry.
CAM00652.jpg

CAM00653.jpg

Cut the bottom bit away,and welded them onto the base...(I forget to take pics):dontmentionit:
CAM00655.jpg
Had this old motorcycle guard,and decided to play around with it.
CAM00659.jpg
Rusty and cracked needed to be filled,and sanded.
CAM00660.jpg
Used a old corner bracket,for a mount.Shaped it then pop riveted it on...
CAM00661.jpg

Oh look my aussie work boots...:21:
Needed arms for the guard to hold it in place,so used the tubing from this old rack.Cut and flattened the ends the also riveted on.Welded small eyelets onto the forks to screw them in place...
CAM00663.jpg
CAM00664.jpg
The way it is welded on,I already have the toe-in needed up front...
CAM00665.jpg
The strapping around the opening....
CAM00667.jpg

A little look see...
CAM00666.jpg

Found this great site,if anyone is interested in building a sidecar...
http://www.haulnride.com/hack_sidecars.html

Very nice and a good progress day! I hope that toe heals up quick, I know it is going to throb when you first get up in the morning!

Luke.
It's throbbing now...hard to walk,kill me now!!!

I love the photo (number 14) where you show the fender mounted and there is a cat at the top of the shot playing with a bit of string or something. Looks like he/she is standing there working on a project of his/her own… "now, if I bend this at a 90 degree angle and stand it up like this, I'll have the start of my cunning invention."

Great work on the build… very inspirational :113:

You should try and get some of these…

SteelcapThong.jpg

Note: it should be "Jandals" not "Jandols". Typical Aussies… can't spell a simple word like Jandal :rolleyes:

Glen.

Awesome progress!!!!! Hope the toe gets to feeling better.

I love the photo (number 14) where you show the fender mounted and there is a cat at the top of the shot playing with a bit of string or something. Looks like he/she is standing there working on a project of his/her own… "now, if I bend this at a 90 degree angle and stand it up like this, I'll have the start of my cunning invention."

Great work on the build… very inspirational :113:

You should try and get some of these…

SteelcapThong.jpg

Note: it should be "Jandals" not "Jandols". Typical Aussies… can't spell a simple word like Jandal :rolleyes:

Glen.
ha,ha crack up,I need a dozen of em,where can I order...:rofl::41::113::banana:

Yep it was one of those days yesterday where I shouldn't have jumped out of bed...
The waffles were a disaster,but ate them anyway.Talk about epic fail...:rockout:
Broke the waffle machine...:headbang:
Scraped skin of a burn.:mad:
And then dropped the alloy front wheel from 1/2 a meter onto my toe...:mad::arghh:
Who would think so much pain...Must have landed right on the rim edge.
Still painful,swollen,purple,but walking....
But I'm happy the bike is turning out better than expected...
Thanx guys for all your support...:113:

Normally I much prefer working in "Thongs" flip flops, whatever, but I did have one big spark catch me and wouldn't shake out the other day while I was welding, right between the toes where the strap goes through, melted into the rubber a bit too!

I still wear them... ;)

Luke.

Normally I much prefer working in "Thongs" flip flops, whatever, but I did have one big spark catch me and wouldn't shake out the other day while I was welding, right between the toes where the strap goes through, melted into the rubber a bit too!

I still wear them... ;)

Luke.
:21: I get that all the time...What is it with that 1 lil spark? They seem to get you in place you could never imagine,between toes,under heels,under foot...:oops::eek:
I 2 step constantly...:21:

So today I received the gear shift knob(smaller than expected):dontmentionit:
That's ok still looks cute..:thumbsup:.
Tires and tubes arrived:cool2::thumbsup:
Battery arrived for my N8,hopefully phone works and I can Take better photos...(sorry for the cr*ppy pics this B0#9)
Toe is still throbbing:arghh:
I have been drinking all day:thumbsup: (fix n bud)
I am drunk:113:
Ate spicy spare ribs while getting drunk:113:
Toe doesn't exist:rockout:

Back