Bounce to the Ounce - FINSHED pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone this is actually my first bike build the other bikes i have one was a gift and the other i just repainted . so this is all new to me and im loving it alot cheaper then re doing a car haha
ok so this is my 50's Monark Sun Valley i picked it up this month was just going to clean it and keep the orig paint had to put it in my room b/c the garage is to cold to work in .
after a few days of looking at this bike i grew to hate the color reminds me of 80's/90's street rods easter egg color and thats just not me . so i decided to take it all apart first time i ever took a whole bike apart but it was easy
the bike is going to get sand blasted then painted i have a theme lined up and everything heres the pics so far
IMG_0004small.jpg

IMG_0092small.jpg

IMG_0078small.jpg

question for the above picture the bracket ball bearings i took out the one side was filled with grease annd then the other side was barley any grease .. when i re-assemble the bike should i grease both sides up nice or one more then the other . and should i soak them in kerosene or is there something else i can clean them up with ?

the handle bars and forks gave me the worst trouble b/c they were frozen with rust sprayed alot of wd-40 in my room boy that was fun lol .. so anyways when taking the front fender off i broke the bolt head off that goes into the bottom of the forks hope i can tap it out
IMG_0040small.jpg

so thats it so far, while its gettin blasted think i will start foaming up the seat and making a seat cover for it

Re: Bounce to the Ounce build

soaking in kerosene is a good idea, then clean with a tooth brush. and old one, not the one you're currently using. kerosene is good because it leaves behind some lubricant. grease the crap out of 'em. after assembly and after riding, some grease will come out, just wipe it off with a rag until it stops doing that.

That original photo looks about the condition of my wifes old hawthorn (no tank though). She won't let me do anything to hers yet. Maybe after seeing yours finished she will change her mind. Can't wait to see what theme you go with. Good luck.

Gold Street Customs said:
Nothing like chemical smells in the house (drives my wife nuts) the least favorite is PB Blast it works well but man the smell just lingures.
My place always reeks of the stuff. I've actually kinda grown to like it!

Jen, I'd recommend using simple green if you're going to be degreasing inside and don't want your place reeking of solvents. It works pretty good, and compared to kerosene or PB Blaster, it smells great. Also, it's not flammable like solvents. Use a toothbrush like ifitsfreeitsforme says. A thick coating of white lithium grease on all your bearings is the way to go during reassembly.

You broke it. HEHEHE
So its you first time huh, thanks for sharing with us, now you know you are starting an addiction and as far as i can see there's no way out. :mrgreen:

I bet they clean up pretty good, if you have an air compresor after you clean them up just blow dry them then repack em sometimes after i get them clean then hit em with the air some bearings fall out but at least they dont fall out when there in the bike. I always use that blue wheel bearing greese on mine. Just my 2 cents

if they dont clean up its like 4 bucks for a complete and brand new bottom bracket kit which includes the bearings
same goes for the headset
i pack mine with grease and coat the insides as well cuz it helps when ur puttin the crank back in (the bearings stay in place)

ive been living with PB blast at work as an essential tool
i gotta crawl up into the spreader bodies of our dumps and do maintenance from the inside of the truck
they call it being a tunnel rat and you end up reeking like PB

if its a bearing grease it, unless i see grooves worn into the cups or the bb's keep falling out of the cage, i reuse em. the other things i would grease is the handlebar stem at the wedge and seatpost that isnt going to be sticking out.

the only other advice id have is if your painting, put all the greasy stuff thats not getting painted in a box and dont look at it again until your painted stuff is done :mrgreen:

CCR said:
if its a bearing grease it, unless i see grooves worn into the cups or the bb's keep falling out of the cage, i reuse em. the other things i would grease is the handlebar stem at the wedge and seatpost that isnt going to be sticking out.

the only other advice id have is if your painting, put all the greasy stuff thats not getting painted in a box and dont look at it again until your painted stuff is done :mrgreen:
Words to live by. :wink:

You mean you shouldn't armor all the plastic and rubber stuff then touch every thing your going to paint. Pish posh. It just gives it a cool diseased look you can call it the moon bike and paint a little spaceman and rocket on the side.

No he is right. Keep a dirty greesy things and fingers off and around things that need to be painted. Clean parts paint better. Waaaaay better. Nothing like layin down nice first coat and watching it creep away from a area and having to wipe it all off and start over again

hahaha thanks for the advise but i already have the greasy fun parts already in a box . gettin everything sandblasted then painted when i figure out what shade of blue i want .
but since im a pinstriper i know the importance of prepping the serface and having un greasy fingers ..what a night mare that can turn into :shock:
this week even before it goes out i think ill be designing whats going on the tank so i have something to show all ya guys and glas

If you are going to sandblast your frame ,Make sure you get all the sand out. Some frame makers left the tubes open into the crank housing and sand gets in there. If not really cleaned out it will come out and really messup your bearings once your built. Chances are if you broke that fender bolt off in your fork ,it will never come out . Drilling and retapping the threads is an easy job. You could just drill it and put a big self tapping screw in it. Good luck

the last frame i had sandblasted had tonnes of sand in the frame, i got some funny looks when i was shaking it out in the garden :mrgreen:

Hey everyone been kinda idle for awhile got caught up doing some other things ..
well since the frame ,fenders other items are off getting sand blasted i started to clean up the sprocket a bit .. left the crank arms came out pretty decent still un sure if i want to paint it or not .
but i am looking for Pedels .. know of any good sites ?

IMG_0004-1.jpg

cleaner
IMG_0062.jpg

Back