BUILD OFF #7 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little over a year ago here are five of the finished builds we saw. Just some random shots for inspiration.

DSC_0659.jpg

DSC00423.jpg

principle020.jpg

IMG_3279.jpg

bsrfq.jpg

The creativity and ingenious ideas that show up in the buildoffs and the rest of the forums are just out of sight. I haven't looked at all the build threads, but the ones that I have somewhat followed are making any final voting decisions really tough.

MazdaFlyer said:
The creativity and ingenious ideas that show up in the buildoffs and the rest of the forums are just out of sight. I haven't looked at all the build threads, but the ones that I have somewhat followed are making any final voting decisions really tough.
This years buildoff has more of a "Tuff Bike" theme going on. Just look at them all. This year there is also alot of step ins. I don't know if they will all finish but I know "Joan" will be there. Hey wouldn't it be great to have a RatRod Bikes BBQ or convention. Hmmm... Peace

Texas BBQ Brisket!
Let's all just show up at Steve's house some weekend!

I'm always up for a BBQ, cook out, Cheese Steak fest.....whatever! In fact, I've got a few places in mind where I could host it. Darn you Jake.....now you've got the wheels turning on this idea too.... :shock:
bbq-image.jpg

Jake Sensi said:
This years buildoff has more of a "Tuff Bike" theme going on. Just look at them all. This year there is also alot of step ins. I don't know if they will all finish but I know "Joan" will be there. Hey wouldn't it be great to have a RatRod Bikes BBQ or convention. Hmmm... Peace

I'll go back and look through them. I really hadn't noticed any theme running through the BO. There are ladies (I mean "step-ins" :wink: ), wooden tanks, gender benders, etc.

2- Here are five more of the RRBBO6 finished builds we saw last year. Just some random shots for inspiration

IMG_0696.jpg

DSCN1905.jpg

P6020200.jpg

P7200052.jpg

2fronttop.jpg

Yeap, I spent about 2 hours looking back at the bikes in builds 1 though 6. There where some awesome bikes that got created out of the builds that might have never been built otherwise. We can all thank Steve for the long nights of sanding, priming, scraping and welding. Believe me, I'm thankful this place gives me a chance to do what I want without being ridiculed for it ( not that people saying "why mess with bikes? You can buy a nice one at Walmart." means anything to me...) Some people will never know the satisfaction of building something on your own, but we get it, and when Jake "yells get ta buildin' " it sounds like a battle-cry to me! Buying a bike is a material thing, building one is more than that.

Looking back at the builds did make me realize that some of the best builds were made by people I never see on here anymore. Karfer67 placed in at least 3 build-offs and always had really nice bikes, and so did a bunch of others. I know how things change, and who knows, I may not be here a year from now. But to me, those guys found a small piece of digital immortality. Would be cool to see how many build-off bikes could show up at one place...

Sorry to ramble on, Rg

"""I'm thankful this place gives me a chance to do what I want without being ridiculed for it ( not that people saying "why mess with bikes? You can buy a nice one at Walmart." means anything to me..."""

DITTO

raggedjim said:
Looking back at the builds did make me realize that some of the best builds were made by people I never see on here anymore. Karfer67 placed in at least 3 build-offs and always had really nice bikes, and so did a bunch of others. I know how things change, and who knows, I may not be here a year from now. But to me, those guys found a small piece of digital immortality. Would be cool to see how many build-off bikes could show up at one place...

I remember last year, Karfer told me it would be his last BO for a while. I think he is still building bikes, just not BO bikes. It's always a juggle between "real-life" and any custom bike build. When you throw in the BO deadline into that mix, sometimes it doesn't work. I really dig the whole BO experience though!!! It's fun following builds during the rest of the year, but the BO is such a unique and fun pressure cooker. Truly, if it ain't fun for you, you should do your build in the regular build section. Rule number 1 should be "HAVE FUN!!!!!".

Cheers my Build Brothas!!!

raggedjim said:
...those guys found a small piece of digital immortality. Would be cool to see how many build-off bikes could show up at one place.
Now there's a phrase I didn't think I'd ever hear.... but you're right.

I know there are several builds going on that are out of the Sacramento Area. There's a ride that takes place in town every 2nd Saturday. Its possible that at least a few build off bikes would be there. If so, I'll make sure to round em up and get some pictures.

kingfish254 said:
I remember last year, Karfer told me it would be his last BO for a while. I think he is still building bikes, just not BO bikes.

This is Karfer's most recent build. The frame and bars are nickel plated. It actually was a build off, of sorts. It was called the Ultimate Build Off.. where the builds were all kept a secret and revealed at the Sacramento Cycle Fest. I think there were about 10 or 12 bikes entered.

cyclefest2012183.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

Critter1 said:
raggedjim said:
...those guys found a small piece of digital immortality. Would be cool to see how many build-off bikes could show up at one place.

I know there are several builds going on that are out of the Sacramento Area. There's a ride that takes place in town every 2nd Saturday. Its possible that at least a few build off bikes would be there. If so, I'll make sure to round em up and get some pictures.

I think I originated the term. I tell my son all the time that what goes on the web stays there, forever, so don't do or say something you'll regret later.

Karfer's a legend in my mind, well, so are the rest of you guys! Take pics of the gatherings you go to, the closest I ever get to a bike gathering is when the spandex guys ride by my house on their 60 mile route once a month. I note when they are going to do it and give them a run on my AMF "The Fast One"! I'm sure they get a kick out of seeing a 50 year old man on a monkeybike pedalling furiously for a block or two...

I'm redoing the Fast One, I'm going to try to go to Smoopys in the fall.

Rg

Cool to see another karfer build!!
He gave me a ton of encouragement and advice last year when I was a rookie. Super guy!!!

Critter1 said:
raggedjim said:
Your right about digital immortality. If i look up my name on Google I hardly find anything. But If I look up Retro-Ratto..Bam!! So there you have it now I'm immortalized by a bike thanks to RRB06. Thanks for naming me for the battle cry. That would be funny to see hundreds of Ratters running down a hill to a mountain of bike parts and some short black guy in a bandana holding up a butterknife yelling ...Get Ta Buildin'!! Call Speilberg!! Peace

Jake Sensi said:
Thanks for naming me for the battle cry. That would be funny to see hundreds of Ratters running down a hill to a mountain of bike parts and some short black guy in a bandana holding up a butterknife yelling ...Get Ta Buildin'!! Call Speilberg!! Peace

That visual is hilarious!!!!! Like something out of Braveheart. We can call it Buildheart!
I'll definitely follow you Jake Wallace!!!!
" Before we let you leave, your commander must cross that field, present himself before this army, put his head between his legs, and kiss his own ....."

Get Ta Buildin'!!
ptg01413785.jpg

Jake Sensi said:
HA! Bravo!! What till my lady sees this!

It's amazing how fast you can find stuff on the internet. Just searched for dreadlock warrior and I found one with a knife and a kilt. Classic!!!!!

Back