cranked up. (back to building)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's a couple days away from the rrbbo dead line. skullosis still isn't finished, i have a couple other build's on the go and i'm trying to set up a haunted photoshoot.

i feel like a chicken running around with my head cut off.
what did i do to rectifi the situation? that's right, i started yet another build. (truth of the matter, i've been dying to start this one)

picked up the bike from the brantford vintage bike show. and a couple of tires.
IMG_0147-1.jpg

i was told the rims were 28", so i purchased discounted 28" tires (said he had 26 and 28's-2 sizes)
well one tire was a 28x1.40, the other a 28x 1 1/2 (thought i was buying a matching set)
turns out both tires didn't fit the rims and the project was put on the back burner.

with a little research and help from the good folks here eventually i found tires that fit.
thx for joining me on the start of my build.

the bikes seen some wear, but let me tell you, i really lucked out with this one.
this bike came apart like it was a month old. no stuck neck's, seat tubes or bolts.the bearings are in incredable shape and all turned freely the day i purchased the bike.

i couldn't be happier.
for such age, the seat is in fantastic condition.
IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0529-1.jpg

new departure hub and c-coaster brake.
IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

nice detailing on the neck
IMG_0533-1.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

back to the rims. these are old clincher rims (ie rubber tubing with wire inside to twist the 2 ends of the tubing together. relaced the rims with ss spokes and found a set of 27x1 1/4" tires that worked nicely.
IMG_0528.jpg

the bars scared me. they had a mean bend in them.
IMG_0524-1.jpg

for the most part i fixed them without aid of heat of any bending devices.
there thin and easy to bend. i think there gonna need a brace.
IMG_0540-1.jpg

what do you think i should do about fenders?
leave them on, take em off or cut em down?

Re: cranked up. (the names are the toughest part.)

You can see that the fenders would like a more beefier tire.but I like the fenders.
I would take the fenders of, put them on a shelf, and find some matching (c)rusty ones that you can cut down.
So if you ever stumble upon a set of matching beefier tires, then you can, and I would :D , put the fenders from the shelf back on.

I'm for the "putting the fenders on the shelf" part, but I'd just run the wheels nekkid. 8) That's just how I roll. :mrgreen:

i totally hear you guys, the tires are just too small for the fenders. besides old fenders usually like to rattle a litte, and i have that.

been thinking bout a small piece of fender in the rear (bb to just beyond the rear stays) but if i do that, i'm gonna try and find something other than a fender to use. (old and ratty of course)

While removing the fenders from the bike, this fell in my lap sorta speak.
2wei9s2.jpg

(1950ish 2 stroke lawnmower)

Fate perhaps? who am i to argue.

The plan, put an old motor on an old bike. Does it run you ask? Beat's me, but it has good spark and compression (it should)
Will it be easy? I'm sure it won't. (horisontal shaft/mower=one speed etc)
2pzbokp.jpg

2lo3wa8.jpg

Why bother? Why not. :)
If it works, should be one old looking moped with some 20's attitude. If i fail, well it's $5 well spent. :)
Sure could do with some idea's. (hint hint, wink wink, nudge nudge,)

icyuod2 said:

Wow did all that creativity drain you?
Can't help you with the tech stuff, but i would just hang that motor in there, hook it up somehow,
make it look dirty and greasy(even more then it is know). and hit the road!
if it doesn't work, it will look good!

(edit) i would love to see you use that tank from the mower though.

badmuller said:
icyuod2 said:

Wow did all that creativity drain you?
Can't help you with the tech stuff, but i would just hang that motor in there, hook it up somehow,
make it look dirty and greasy(even more then it is know). and hit the road!
if it doesn't work, it will look good!

(edit) i would love to see you use that tank from the mower though.

Drained is an understantement. Skull-o-sis/the other bikes where a very very small part of my creative
workload for the last couple months. It's the other project's that really taxed me.
(it can be very difficult to be creative on demand)

The tank, oh yes, it will be so!

For a while I was over at motoredbikes.com, when I had the idea to put a 2 stroke snow blower engine on my 80's schwinn world road bike.

My idea for this was to use some sort of clamps to mount it to the frame. my output came out on the left side of the bike, so I was going to run a belt drive on that side with a cable controlled tensioner to act as a clutch, and run a jackshaft over to the other side and hook onto thin innner of the two chainrings on the crank. this way you can pick a reduction ratio for your jackshaft to get a decent final drive, and in my case, still have 5 speeds to work with.

thats just the gist of what I was thinking for what I was gonna do, but then I got distracted with this whole forum, and figured I better get acquainted with the bike itself first.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but vertical shaft motors are not necessarily convertible to horizontal. You can make a manifold for the carb easily enough, but the oiling system is probably "splash and drain", which is dependant on orientation to gravity to keep oil on bearing surfaces, and out of the combustion chamber and valve pockets. :|

Would that matter with a 2 stroke (don't know)?

It may, or may not, some work upside backwards, some don't. I guess valve pockets are not a concern, though. :oops: :roll: Does it have an oil reservoir? Reed valve or open port? Roller or ball bearings, or shell? It may work if the bearings still get wet, and fuel doesn't puddle and cause flooding.

throw a skateboard wheel on the shaft and run it on the sidewall :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Markm said:
throw a skateboard wheel on the shaft and run it on the sidewall :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i realize a vertical shaft (brainfart in the first post) isn't the best suited engine for a bicycle, but i don't think it's an impossible task.
originally i was thinking along the same lines. heres the idea's bouncing around in my head.

1. mount it on a rear rack (vertical) using a friction wheel on the rim/sidewall/fricton plate attached to the spokes(
metal wheel for the sidewall or rollerblade type wheel for the rim/friction plate)
2. mount it in the frame with a belt running a rear pulley/friction wheel on the rim/sidewall/friction plate.
(this would allow me to make a lever to engage/disengage the friction wheel.
3. same but above the front wheel.
4.couple pulleys and twisted belts
5. worm gears
then i started thinking, other than the carb/float, what in this simple 2 stroke lawn mower engine is preventing me from flipping it sideways?
no oil res. but there shouldn't be an issue with parts not getting oil. there'll be a fine mist on everything in there.

the rest i'm unsure of. including the bike.

i know its old 1900-1930's????? and i know its american. but i'm yet to narrow it down
(any help would be greatly appreciated)

i'm pretty sure in such a small 2 stroke engine lube isn't an issue.
the oil's atomized into a fine mist and will coat /stick to all the working parts.

maybe try slick 50 or some other oil treatment thats supposed to permanetly coat internal parts with a lubricant? then you could theoreticaly run it "dry"

honestly, i really dont think lube will be an issue.

from what i've found on the net, these little 2 stroke lawnboy/iron horse motors work in any orientation. (not all but a lot of em)
so ya don't run outta oil when cutting on hills etc.
theres such a small area inside this little 2 stroke you'd have a hard time not coating all the parts with the
atomized oil floating around in there.

i will have to figure out a throttle system/ some type of clutch and locate the parts to flip the carb 90*

short 10 sec clip of it running. a little rough, but i've made no effort to clean out the exaust port yet (gotta get some carb cleaner)
View My Video

love those old bent metal kill switches. :)

Back