ELGIN MOTO X - (UPDATED 5-18 ALMOST DONE!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ELGIN MOTO X

Any idea what size seatpost these old Schwinn frames take? None I have work. All too large.

I'm really excited about building this bike. It's a big brother to the first bike I ever owned. My first bike was a black rattle canned Schwinn 20 inch scrambler w/ a hodgepodge of used up BMX parts that was a hand me down from my brothers.

Yeah...they take a smaller seat post...not sure of the exact measurement.

I probably have a spare if you need one. Either that or Mitch & John should be able to scrounge one up for you cheap.

Let me know. :wink:

HutchXL24 inspired me so I did a bit of assembly work this evening.

Managed to find another bearing cup for the headset that fit perfect.

DSC_0140.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

Those cranks look great on it. I really like the headtube area, very beefy lookin.

Re: ELGIN MOTO X - (UPDATED 4-15)

Kev, what happens to me occassionally is that I am in the process of creating a lengthy reply and at the same time someone else posts one.

When you click on submit, it pops up with a screen saying that someone else posted something since you began creating your post - and asks if you want to continue. If you don't notice that screen and just go back to the thread, your post never gets created.

That happens to me mostly on new threads where several people are watching and posting at the same time. So that may be what happened on yours. It's bitten me several times now.

...ok...here's the Long and short of it.

Steve..you steer Tube is too long..it needs to be spaced..and cut..and maybe add a Suntour BMX Lock nut to take up some of the extra space..
don't cut it to short!!!

The Cranks look sweet!!!!
nice job Bro!!

both you guys are building cool Bikes..

I may know a guy who has Bars that came from a shop, that has a LOT of Skulls :mrgreen:
That guy just might send you those bars, for the cost of shipping Steve :wink:

and I told yaa the 400 Cranks would Break 5 Bills on E Bay..
I think I said 525.oo minimum..I was close!!! :wink: :wink:

Thanks Kev!

Yeah...steer tube still needs to be cut yet..hadn't gotten around to it just yet....also have the lock nut...it's a TANGE headset.

PM me about these bars you speak off....running low on bike funds at the moment.

Dropped the bike off at the LBS yesterday to have the rear wheel converted to a single speed and dished.

Clothespin n said:

Steve..you steer Tube is too long..it needs to be spaced..and cut..and maybe add a Suntour BMX Lock nut to take up some of the extra space..
don't cut it to short!!!

nice job Bro!!

I may know a guy who has Bars that came from a shop, that has a LOT of Skulls :mrgreen:

Clothespin n said:

don't cut it to short!!!

nice job Bro!!

Thanks for the compliment!

If the deal on the Skull bars extends to other members, I'd really like a set for that price. Let me know.

I also agree about Steve's steer tube. I'd ad a Suntour stem lock or a flex fighter.

Rat Rod said:

I probably have a spare if you need one. Either that or Mitch & John should be able to scrounge one up for you cheap.

A fluted post would be awesome if anyone has one in the correct size. If not, chrome would be cool. The one that came w/ the bike is chrome, but has a really reduced diameter at the top where the seat hardware clamps.

HutchXL24 said:
Rat Rod said:

A fluted post would be awesome if anyone has one in the correct size. If not, chrome would be cool. The one that came w/ the bike is chrome, but has a really reduced diameter at the top where the seat hardware clamps.

I have the same thing you have then.

Rat Rod said:
HutchXL24 said:
Rat Rod said:

I have the same thing you have then.

Poopy Doo.

Had the rear wheel dished and a single speed freewheel installed by the folks at Bicycle Exchange last week.

While I was there I also picked up this set of red walls that I had been eyeballing for a few weeks.

This MTB neck and bars were just installed so I could make a quick test run.

Will be de-anodizing and polishing the Tuff Neck soon as well as ordering some BMX cruiser bars.

I plan to only run a front brake and I have a vintage set of Dia Comp MX brakes to use.

Should also be getting a set of black AME triangle pattern grips this week from the folks at colored tuffs.

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

DSC_0183.jpg

Re: ELGIN MOTO X - (UPDATED 4-22)

Looks fast. I like those redwalls on it alot. How come only a front brake? Too hard to mount on the rear?

cman said:
How come only a front brake? Too hard to mount on the rear?

Yeah...not sure how I'd mount rear brakes since there is no bracket.

I guess one could be welded on, but I don't have that capability at home. :(

I may also have to go with a larger freewheel out back or a smaller chain ring.

Right now this puppy is pretty hard to peddle. :shock:

Back