ELGIN MOTO X - (UPDATED 5-18 ALMOST DONE!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ELGIN MOTO X - (UPDATED 4-22)

Hooch said:
that this is so cool! now i gotta build one ughhhh

Keep yours eyes peeled for any early 80s Sugino or Dura Ace crank sets. The conversion kit was about $30 and was easy to install.

Nothing like riding a prewar bike around and hearing the clicking sounds of a freewheel. :D

i remember years ago I picked up an italian road bike in beat shape and not knowing a thing about old road bikes I thought the cranks were cool so I just cut the frame tubes around the BB to sell it as a complete unit on ebay anyways the crankset sold for $75 but I guess I cut up a $500 frame lol oopsie!

Your build is looking sweeeeet!

I've still got a few parts to find before I complete mine.

Maybe once we're done, we can get a group shot in front of the exchange.

Great looking bike. Ever consider a red pinstripe on the frame where the black meets the white?

It looks great, love the wheels :D Can you make a plate for the rear brakes, then just use 4 bolts to mount it on the frame. If you can't weld it, bolt it! Just my $.02

Hooch, I dunno it that would work because there is no hole drilled in the frame. It also would probably end up being the wrong spacing. A weld job would be the best (Uncle Stretch?) or Steve could bodger up something like this(ugly)
CIMG0491.jpg

besides the bolt this is held onto the seat stays by hose clamp so i would think they would be enuff and its for a bmx and they have pretty wide frames
maybe you can mount a caliper down by the kickstand mount too

Steve...
That looks SICK!!!

I replied to you last PM..
I even searched for Suntour Locknut on E bay..to show you an example.

but it looks like your doing just fine without me...VERY NICE!!!!!
It would be VERY easy to Mount a Rear caliper Brake Bridge on the back.

just a piece of Flat stock 1/8 inch steel...about the same size as a Metal Ruler...but 1/8th thick.

then have a friend( or you ) weld a nice bead on the underside.
Put a Slotted hole so you can adjust the Caliper up and down, and remember, their is Up and down adjustment on the Pads as well...

that is Looking KILLER bro!!!
I'm very impressed!

Kev.

Kev gave me some pointers on how to de-anodize the Pro Neck.

I went through the process and then I polished it up on the bench grinder. :mrgreen:

Also installed the Dia Comp MX front brakes today...just need bars and grips and I'm rollin'.

Pro Neck Before

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

Pro Neck After

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0225.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0235.jpg

Re: ELGIN MOTO X - (UPDATED 4-26)

nice clunker, thats awsome. so how do you do the drain-o trick? i have an anodize one too that i want to do.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

It went like this for me...if you plan to do it it's at your own risk because the Drain-O is some nasty poisonous stuff.

1. Get two buckets of water.
2. Have a few rags handy and some 0000 steel wool.
3. Put on some safety glasses, long pants and shirt, face mask, & thick rubber kitchen gloves
4. In one bucket pour in some of the Drain-O crystals
5. In the other bucket pour in some baking soda with the water.
6. Dip the anodized parts into the Drain-O bucket and pull them out every 20 seconds or so.
7. Parts will start turning black and you can rub off the anodizing with the steel wool.
8. Parts will start to get hot from the chemical process.
9. Once the anodizing is all off, dip the parts into the baking soda bucket to neutralize the process.
10. I then dipped the parts in some soapy water and cleaned them really well.
11. After they dried I polished them on my bench grinder using a RYOBI buffing wheel.

I'm not responsible if you choose to do this and have issues. It's just what I tried and it worked for me.

ok no prob., thanks for the info.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Here she is in a near finished state.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the red tires...may just need some blackwalls.

A big thanks to Kev for setting me up with these Skull Skate BMX cruiser bars and for all of his advice.

May need a larger freewheel or a smaller chain ring....pretty hard to pedal at the moment. :shock:

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0087-1.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0080-1.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

Hey Rat....

What are those tires??? Never saw redwall kobbies.. kinda cool...

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Back