Found

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You were both rite of course, the sand paper brought it out. F108079

Cool now ya got somtin to go from So, ya got a frame of bike that might have looked like this 1949 DX. There's other possibilities of type too but this is the basic, which is most likely to have had the skiptooth chainring. peeps like both deals on this, Rat-rod em cause they're good heavy duty frames despite the rust, and restore.
Schwinn_DX.JPG

Finding the serial numbers on the Hawthorn might be a little trickier, might be two sets, or a few numbers above and a full set below, and unlike the Schwinn prob not centered as well as Schwinn is on BB.

Last edited:
I know I will be sinking money into the project....but where can I get books, specks, on this bike? I really only want to use 49 parts but are other year parts interchangeable?
Should I have parts rechromed or buy different?
Where can I find specks on the paint's or should I just light sand it down and clear coat?

I know I will be sinking money into the project....but where can I get books, specks, on this bike? I really only want to use 49 parts but are other year parts interchangeable?
Should I have parts rechromed or buy different?
Where can I find specks on the paint's or should I just light sand it down and clear coat?

to paint to spec or not to paint, that is the question. For the not to paint spec place rat-rod's the spot, and too paint The cabe's hot with ebay supplying the preformed masking patterns and decals. .
You're inside of the book now, and with frame date and ID's just search the net. [wink]

BTW welcome to the fever, I just picked up this yesterday, an two tone, Opalescent green and sea green 1955 Deluxe Hornet:
$_57.JPG

Last edited:
Nice Bike Jeff. Today I was running dogs and went back to the pile, found a couple fenders and also two more bike frames but they are in there deep, both old. Also found a few handle bars but water has gotten into them and froze, bursting a small hole in them. I get time I'm going to resurrect as much as I can find in there. Probably not worth anything but who knows, maybe somebody will want them, or I can trade them for parts.

Nice Bike Jeff. Today I was running dogs and went back to the pile, found a couple fenders and also two more bike frames but they are in there deep, both old. Also found a few handle bars but water has gotten into them and froze, bursting a small hole in them. I get time I'm going to resurrect as much as I can find in there. Probably not worth anything but who knows, maybe somebody will want them, or I can trade them for parts.

Sound like you've got a little silver dolor mine there, lol.. and trade bait is usually a real good idea because, novice restoration of a bike is not profitable nor cheap.. In most cases; assembling a whole bike will cost ya more than buying one that's fully equipped. having a frame is a start but the other parts can be just as costly, with a tank or factory fender light getting into your pocket, nice rims aint cheap too. So, the more ya find, trade bait, or patience through hunting friends neighbors Craig's list you name it, with patience you may be able to gather the parts, without,, me hopes ya got the budget, and better half who's tolerant to it. [grin]

as example, yeah that hornet is nice, $150 bucks it cost me, but the rims are crap, might clean up though, while the tank is more than the whole bike and the fender light spencive too. if lucky can get them cheap otherwise the pair will get me for 300+ bucks. then there's the original tires to consider, seat recover or replace? blah, blah, blah, yatta, yatta, could easily toss another 500 bucks at it and end up with $500-800 bike or with patience buy a whole one for $500 less. . it's the little decorative stuff included with standard that'll bite ya. etc. etc. etc.. 1st I'll very carefully clean, carefully try and get the rust out without harming the paint or chrome, then reassemble to see how she'll look, with odds, that's as far as me goes.. because otherwise, I ain't tossing another 500 bucks at a friggen bike, while a good correct cleaning might pretty it up and I double me monies the hard way, earn it. [grin]

In some cases, going rat is a keen route others, 'for the love of it'? bye, bye savings account.

So, it's also good to understand what you're getting into.

I used to completely restore Schwinn's in the 60's, free penny saver ads, friends, neighbors, junk piles could make a nice profit, but parts were a nickel, dime, quarter 50 cents then. AND that was only single solid colored bikes too. Collector's who are interested in restored bikes, can't stand the slightest slop on the paint job.. slightest hint off color, tiny-est line with shaky hand, etc.

Oh yeah there's this too. once ya get a bike nice,, for profit or 'love', it can be just as tough to let it go..

Last edited:
i dont now if you can pm on the cabe yet but there is a guy named gordon who i think is from grand marie post in the schwinn forum that you would like to contact hi,i think he would hep you out with your ?s

Back