Frank N. Stine - updated pics 7-2-08

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what this thing will end up lookin like, i havent even decided on how to paint it. but hopefully ill get to try some things ive been been wanting to try. if not, its still gonna be alot of fun! this is hwat i started with, i dont know what it is, ponytail mike said it might be a columbia. a freind of mine rescued it and called be to come get it out of his garage. i like it cuz the rear drop outs are unique, and it has both the curved top tubes/seat stay bars that you'd see on a cruiser with the straight down tube you'd typically see ona diamond frame.
FrankN.Stine13.jpg

here is frank taken apart and ready for the stripper
FrankN.Stine23.jpg

and here comes the stripper!!! (yours truly)
thestripper23.jpg

on that drill is one of the scotchbrite thingys that i heard about on this site as a way to strip paint. i just got to try it today after work, its works great. i dont know if you can tell from the pics but this frame was painted green witha brush, i think originally it was white. ill post more pics later after its stripped.
fast eddie outty 9-15-07

i would have to agree with Tempe-Terror looks like a amf chainring
the rear drop out are not columbia. good loking ride let's see what's
up your sleeve... go get em...

mike...

I agree with T.T. I have seen that frame as an AMF which is also Roadmaster. Wow Eddy that Outty thing just made some real sense! I saw that photo and wanted to Outty Fast! LOL Later & PEACE!!!! :wink:

Yes that is an AMF Roadmaster, both Chainsaw and myself have built bikes up on that platform. I was really surprised how well both bikes ride. Looking forward to seeing your twist on it ends up...Kelly

Agreed, that is one of the more interesting AMF/Sears/WF/Murray/branded under numerous name breed of bikes from that era. The perfect bikes for this build because most of the parts on most of 'em are horrible and flimsy, but the frames usually aren't too bad. That one looks nice and beefy! mmmm!

My "Rodentia" bike is based on that frame. Mine was a Roadmaster with a 3 speed and 1.95 tires. I put a coaster rim on the back and ran a 2.125 tire. I thought it would drop the rearend on it's maiden voyage, cause the back looked so flimsy, but it's still going! I've ridden it quite a bit without any trouble. If you're putting some 26x2.125s on her it's gonna be a REEEEEAL tight fit but they'll go without any frame adjustment. I went with a coaster rim and drilled a hole in the dropout and just bolted the brakelever in place, works great!

I'm very interested in seeing how you bring the beast to life!

Chainsaw

a few more pics....

here is Frank almost half stripped. this process is taking a while, its slow going cuz of how many layers of paint are on there ...sheesh!! im hoping to finish stripping tomorrow night.
FrankN.Stine33.jpg

here is a donor that was rescued form a curb just last night, the local ice cream truck driver (a good freind of me and the boys) saw it and came by to get me and we grabbed it. even lil eddie (my younger son) was excited as you can see!!!

FrankN.Stine43.jpg

here is the part im most excited about using on this build....ponytail mike can you see what idea of yours im stealing!!?? that chainring is a monster!!! just like Frank N. Stine himself!!!

FrankN.Stine53.jpg

from the bike below i will (if all goes right) be taking this 3 speed rear hub and lacing it into a 26" narrow road bike wheel, with a lil help from bicycle rick over at peddlers bike shop in missouri! thanks for helping the competition rick...but you better not sabatoge my wheel!!! im also hoping to use this big cushy seat....im all about comfort!!!

by the way...the bike in this pic is a full sized 26" bike, the seat that is curently on it came off of a john deer backhoe...and i am a giant. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FrankN.Stine73.jpg

i am also hoping to use this "console" on my contest build, ill keep the speedometer if i can get it to work, and ill probably put a clock or something where that timer is now. the middle knob will come out and im hoping that there will be a light switch there...thats a BIG maybe though. this is my first contest build so i dont wanna bite off more than i can chew in a short deadline, im not even sure yet if this console will mount at all.

FrankN.Stine63.jpg

im looking forward to having monday night to get a bunch of work done on this project, ive kicked the yard/house work into high over the weekend to clear up that evening...im soooo stoked, no matter how the bike places in the contest this will be my first custom crusier so its a win win situation for me. everyone is posting such cool stuff, and everybody seems so good spirited about it, kudos guys!!!! im happy to be a part of this site and this contest. fast eddie outty

You've come a Llloooonnggg way since you built your sister a bike from the spare parts in the garage. Looks like you got a great combination of parts here and lots of know how. Good luck in the bike build off. All my love, MOM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
i went to do a lil mock up last night of the project frame and some of the wierd parts i wanna put on it....... NOTHING fits!!!!! now comes the fun part that seperates assembly from customisation....i gotta figure how to MAKE 'em fit!!!!!
fast eddie outty

i didnt get as much time to work on the bike this weekend as i was hoping, but i did find that i need a different size rear wheel than i was planning, i found some cool accessories that are gonna work out niiiiice, and i found more work that has to be done!!!!!
now that almost all the paint is off, there is ALOT of filing and "de-burring" type work that is needed to make Frank pretty, does everyone else usually take the time to do this? im also considering using some bondo on different parts of the frame to make it look "cleaner." is this legal under the frame modification rules?
fast eddie outty

Latest posts

Back