Fundraiser Stingray build FINISHED 4/21

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Fundraiser Stingray build

Uncle Stretch said:
Nice job Looking good. :lol: I like that almost dry and your holding it ha ha
It's dry but not fully cured. I've got like 15+ coats of enamel clear on her, should be hard as a rock in a few days.

Rough idea of how it will look (don't mind the invisible wheels) Should have some coming soon.
IMG_0094.jpg

That paint is NICE! Did you use an automotive paint or ??? The reason I ask is I just had a frame powder coated and the results are OK, but not really what I was looking for. I'm thinking I'll take the plunge and try base coat/clear coat automotive paint on the next frame I do

-Mp.

It's a lacquer base, enamel clear. I had a frame powdercoated in the past, it's kinda a pain because you're stuck with one color, waterslide decals won't stick, and you have to re-tap any threads in the parts you do.

Re: Fundraiser Stingray build 3/14

To fender or not to fender? That is the question. :?:
IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

Re: Fundraiser Stingray build 3/14

necessaryevil said:
To fender or not to fender? That is the question. :?:
IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

There is no question there! :p That looks so sweet, best with fenders I think. I love the whitewalls with the frame color and the whole deal was very well executed.

amen to that fenders look great :mrgreen:

necessaryevil said:
It's a lacquer base, enamel clear. I had a frame powdercoated in the past, it's kinda a pain because you're stuck with one color, waterslide decals won't stick, and you have to re-tap any threads in the parts you do.

Thanks for the info :D

and... FENDERS! definitely go with the fenders Singrays and chrome were made for each other (white seat and grips would look awesome with the root-beer paint colour IMHO)

-Mp

check this topic out he as a white banana seat and white grips for sale viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14305 :D

I have some original white schwinn grips coming, as far as a seat I'm going to find some white vinyl and just make my own. Thanks for the heads up though.

Re: Fundraiser Stingray build 4/11

Well, I'm down to the finishing touches on the bike. Going to stay fender-less. Found some cool white sparkle vinyl for the seat, but I was mocking up the seat and sissy bar, and now I hate the seat. The profile is just too slim and the sissy bar sits almost vertical because the seat post mounting bracket is too far back on the seat pan. What do you guys think?
IMG_2239.jpg

necessaryevil why don't you move the seat bracket forward on the pan? Depending on your pan style, just drill out the spot welds and relocate it. I realize you can't move it too far forward, because the pan narrows too much, and it would not look too good too far forward anyway.I have two Schwinn seat pans and each are different, the first one thats on my bike now the mount couldn't really be relocated, but I am going to make some mounts to move the location of the seat post forward, which will move the pan back about 2'' but that will be quite visible and probably wouldn't be the look you're after anyway.

001-3.jpg

This second pic is flat so this bracket could be moved forward... this pan has had the nose cut off, I was going to make some custom seat several decades ago.

002-2.jpg

Could you flip the seat/seatpost mounting bracket around to make a difference? I don't mean to suggest physically altering the seat, just flipping the removable bracket which holds the seat to the post?

Unchained said:
Could you flip the seat/seatpost mounting bracket around to make a difference? I don't mean to suggest physically altering the seat, just flipping the removable bracket which holds the seat to the post?

I looks in the picture like it doesn't have that bracket.

I think Unchained is right. Maybe you could even alter or extend the bracket he is talking about. Or you could weld on another post at the top like a swingbike seat post or a lucky seven. that will give you adjustability front to back.

Thanks for the imput guys. The bracket just has a few spot welds, so I'll just zip those off, relocate the bracket about 2 inches forward, and reweld it. I'm sure glad I purchased extra vinyl, I did'nt even think about mocking the seat up until after I started glueing it all down :x

Hey necessaryevil, here's the seat brackets I was talking about Sunday, couldn't hardly put it into words, so I went ahead and made them, like I said they are quite visible, and probably not the look you were going for. Anyway these set the seat back 1 & 1/2''.

MySeatBrackets.jpg

That looks good. I just got done relocating the bracket on mine, I only moved it an inch but it makes a world of difference. This will teach me to do more mocking up on future builds I guess.

Back