FYI a Coaster Brake = DANGER!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My chain broke coming down a big hill once. Kinda freaky but then I remembered to place my shoe on the front tire. Works like a charm and I love the smell of burning rubber

danreid27 said:
Did you ever consider that you would have "NO brakes at all" if your chain breaks or falls off!
Be aware / be safe. :!:

:shock: :shock: :shock: You know...I NEVER thought of that,having ridden rim or disc brakes for so long :shock: :shock: :shock:

After having the wheel come off my Blazer at better than I should have been going Saturday,that's ALL I need,is to have the brakes go out on my bike too :lol:

danreid27 said:
Did you ever consider that you would have "NO brakes at all" if your chain breaks or falls off!
Be aware / be safe. :!:

Man, it's the 21st century, if your chain breaks, just crash and sue someone, no need for us to worry about such things.

cman said:
My chain broke coming down a big hill once. Kinda freaky but then I remembered to place my shoe on the front tire. Works like a charm and I love the smell of burning rubber
I had the same sort of experience... Kinda like Flintstone brakes only different :mrgreen:
Maybe thats where the term hotfoot came from.

I've had that happen a few times, or lost a brake pad when all I had was rear handbrakes. I put my foot between the frame and rear tire down by the kickstand mount. I did that with the front tire, but flipped over. The rear just locked up as my shoe got grabbed. Bare feet would be a problem too.

Back in the 60's, my friends and I would practice "bailing out". More proof that boys destroy everything they own. After watching some of those WW2 movies, we would mimic pilots bailing from their aircraft. We would ride next to the curb, and jump off into the grass as the bike kept going on it's own. We would be covered in grass stains as we kept increasing our bailout speed. Usually the bikes would go 20 or 30 feet and crash, but every so often, a bike would go all the way down the street. Then things got even worse for our bikes, we would run with them, and let them go, usually toward a curb or tree. Bikes would bounce and do flips in the air if they were going fast enough. We were having a blast. One even climbed the stop sign. Other kids joined in the fun and we were even having judging on the crashes. One of my buddies suddenly got a stricken look on his face, it was his Mom coming down the street, with a wooden spoon. He drug his new bike back up the street, the back wheel had come loose and wouldn't roll. That's why you find plenty of girl's bikes, but not many boy's bikes.

Wildcat said:
Back in the 60's, my friends and I would practice "bailing out". More proof that boys destroy everything they own. After watching some of those WW2 movies, we would mimic pilots bailing from their aircraft. We would ride next to the curb, and jump off into the grass as the bike kept going on it's own. We would be covered in grass stains as we kept increasing our bailout speed. Usually the bikes would go 20 or 30 feet and crash, but every so often, a bike would go all the way down the street. Then things got even worse for our bikes, we would run with them, and let them go, usually toward a curb or tree. Bikes would bounce and do flips in the air if they were going fast enough. We were having a blast. One even climbed the stop sign. Other kids joined in the fun and we were even having judging on the crashes. One of my buddies suddenly got a stricken look on his face, it was his Mom coming down the street, with a wooden spoon. He drug his new bike back up the street, the back wheel had come loose and wouldn't roll. That's why you find plenty of girl's bikes, but not many boy's bikes.

:lol: :lol: :lol: We did that too! 8)

yoothgeye said:
Lowdownminitrucker said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: We did that too! 8)

Haha, me too, we would ghost ride bikes down big steep hills aiming for stumps for maximum air and flip time.

LMBO,yup! :mrgreen:

Back