FYI a Coaster Brake = DANGER!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most other countries require at least TWO different brakes...Kinda glad they don't make it mandatory here...........AHHH, FREEDOM! :D
The price of FREEDOM, is safety....The price of SAFETY, is freedom.

KOTA said:
Most other countries require at least TWO different brakes...Kinda glad they don't make it mandatory here...........AHHH, FREEDOM! :D
The price of FREEDOM, is safety....The price of SAFETY, is freedom.

Haha, I keep having youth ride their bikes to my house and as they leave say something about their brakes not working at all. :shock: I get out the wrench and give them their brakes back, I just can't imagine having no brakes. I have the wits about me to put my feet down, but sometimes... who knows. :|

seen it happen never happend to me yet knock on wood. well thats not true when i did aj's chain bike i got it all together road it and literally one crank the old rusty skip chain snapped. i heard from a friend that in sf they have banned coaster brakes really? cool we are like outlaws and stuff.

Wildcat said:
I've had that happen a few times, or lost a brake pad when all I had was rear handbrakes. I put my foot between the frame and rear tire down by the kickstand mount. I did that with the front tire, but flipped over. The rear just locked up as my shoe got grabbed. Bare feet would be a problem too.

i was goin down a big hill and just took my front brakes off, and ajusted the rear brakes, and on my way down the hill i hit the brakes to make sure they work and i forgot to tighten on of the pads and the pad came off

I almost always put a front hand brake on all my bikes. Even if you never have a chain, snap ring, or anchor bolt failure, it's quite convenient for holding on hilly streets, maneuvering in tight spots, and you can stop a lot quicker. If you're adventurous, you can also learn to do stoppies, although I recommend you learn it young, or don't bother. Broken joints are really unpleasant. :!: :roll:

Over here, sweden that is, coaster brakes are really common on bikes and i think that if they are set up correctly they are pretty much bomb proof. I mean if your chain "falls off" coasting down a hill you probably should have checked your chain tension/rear wheel positioning more often..

The only chains i snapped are MTB chains, typically when powering and trying some dodgy shifting..

To be fair i had a incident with a motorized bike loosing its chain, but i forgott to put on the looking plate on the chain lock before taking it out for a spin, yeah a face palm moment right there..

K-dregg said:
The only chains i snapped are MTB chains, typically when powering and trying some dodgy shifting..

I have been thinking since this thread started: If you ever break a chain, you will at the time most likely be standing up, leaning forward, muscling your way up hill or such. Your body will most likely lurch forward or sideways and go down taking the bike with you. See? no need for brakes at all under those circumstances :D

dougfisk said:
I have been thinking since this thread started: If you ever break a chain, you will at the time most likely be standing up, leaning forward, muscling your way up hill or such. Your body will most likely lurch forward or sideways and go down taking the bike with you. See? no need for brakes at all under those circumstances :D

Exactly... Face Brakes. :eek:

Rockit! said:
ratina said:
what if you have full fenders :shock:

Then I guess you'll have to, ahem, FEND for yourself. :mrgreen:

Kick the fender into the tire and use it as a brake, most fender mounts are cheap and bend easy enough. Normally if the frame allows I run hand brakes as well as the coaster brake however on my 1958 Schwinn American there is nowhere to mount anything but coaster brakes but I don't ride fast enough to really need anything more than that. I also ride with a kid trailer that I haul stuff with so it slows me down enough unless I'm going downhill then it's good old foot to tire.

Coaster brake only? No big deal. What could possibly go wrong?

perins1.jpg

yeah, i know i've posted the pic before- but this just seemed like such a good place for it...... :mrgreen:

Back